Chicago screws?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
Hey there I am getting ready to try and make a few leather items and need a few Chicago screws 4 at 24mm, 4 at 28mm and 4 at 8mm. Does anyone know where I can find them. Would be happy to buy them from someone if possible. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
James

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If you can find some at 28mm I'd be keen to know where.

It's a slim chance, but you might get those longer Chicago screws from someone that fits kitchens. Base and wall cupboard units are supposed to be fitted together side to side using these type of fittings that give a clean finish when bolted. To be honest I just put screws in under the blum hinges and be done with it. But I'm sure if you seek out a company that fits these professionally they might be able to help you. Hope this helps mate.

Last edited:

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
It's a slim chance, but you might get those longer Chicago screws from someone that fits kitchens. Base and wall cupboard units are supposed to be fitted together side to side using these type of fittings that give a clean finish when bolted. To be honest I just put screws in under the blum hinges and be done with it. But I'm sure if you seek out a company that fits these professionally they might be able to help you. Hope this helps mate.

Thanks biker I am a cabinet maker and all that I could find from the suppliers we use are 9mm hole diam. We do have some 6mm x 20mm with screws at each end. Have ordered some 20mm Chicago screws from fleabay. Will customize and make them work even if only temperary.

Thanks again
James

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
Thanks biker I am a cabinet maker and all that I could find from the suppliers we use are 9mm hole diam. We do have some 6mm x 20mm with screws at each end. Have ordered some 20mm Chicago screws from fleabay. Will customize and make them work even if only temperary.

Thanks again
James

As above, the special bolts that fit kitchen cabinets together, if they are okay aesthetically for what you want. If you dont need many, if you go to the Ikea returns section they might give you a few.

Here's the good bit though, you can cut the female part and use two males ends to get an even longer fitting. I've used this to attach door handles to each other through a door when the standard door fixings weren't long enough, You can also cut down the female and male ends it get size range exactly as you require.

Funnily enough in looking for an image, the only ones I could find were for doors - perhaps another source.

http://www.doorhandlesdirect.co.uk/...fixing_set_for_door_handles_m35_nickel_plated

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Sometimes door handle sets have something very like Chicago screws to hold the two sides of the escutcheon together.
IIRC they have countersunk heads and the side with the hollow has maybe a 5mm outer diameter of the tube and you cut the part with the external thread down to suit the door thickness. The external threaded parts have plain parts every 10mm or so so they can be cut with snips without damaging the threads.
As the doors are usually about 44mm thick + two times the escutcheon thickness making them about 55mm or so long?

Edit, must read all posts before saying something thats already been covered, nevermind.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Abbey have them 10mm - 45mm in 5mm increments and in brass or nickel plated. They're in the workshop catalogue but not on the site. Might be worth giving them a ring; 01565 650343. I bought some stuff from them last week and they were very helpful indeed.

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
Abbey have them 10mm - 45mm in 5mm increments and in brass or nickel plated. They're in the workshop catalogue but not on the site. Might be worth giving them a ring; 01565 650343. I bought some stuff from them last week and they were very helpful indeed.

Thanks Ian Will definitely look in to calling them. Looks like a handy company.

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE