Chestnuts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Beyond roasting them and eating the blighters - what more interesting things can one do with Chestnuts.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Marron glacé....bit of a footer, but well worth the effort.
They're also awfully good roasted with sprouts and good seasalt.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
We’ve had none to find this year, just little thin things. It’s the been the same with conkers, we have a huge Horse Chestnut tree opposite our house and the road is usually covered with conker mush. Beech too, loads of shells but not a single seed in any of the triangular nuts, all were hollow.

If you do have a load, then a Chestnut stuffing recipe done with good sausage meat, bacon and onion can’t be beaten. Good sliced as a kind of haslet sandwich filling too.

64017600-ECFF-4018-9619-128EF0884AC1.jpeg2B704A56-9B09-4749-A1DC-6D5A0EFF461B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I've not tried it but what about a pesto in place of pine nuts?

It's the same around here with beech and sweet chestnut, there's just nothing to them, anaemic skinny little things, does anyone know what causes it and why they don't fatten up?

• Love
Reactions: TeeDee

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Up here (Chester) I have only found decent hauls on the very very mature trees. Also add to that some are just good years and some bad.

I believe they do better down south and in much warmer climes.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Roasted and dried to make a flour. Also having a go at making some hummus after roasting. Just a heads up for anyone who's new. Sweet chestnuts must be cooked before consumption as they are toxic raw.
Really,? I remember well eating them raw as a kid, having to peel off the furry under skin, used to love them.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Really,? I remember well eating them raw as a kid, having to peel off the furry under skin, used to love them.
Same here, still do. I didn’t know this until I googled but apparently the tannic acid can cause stomach problems.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE