Chestnut flour - got any advice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I gathered a load of chestnuts in the autumn and I would like to make flour from them.

They've been in proper storage for a few months now and I'm told that the next step is to shell them, bake them, then grind them up into flour.

How long roughly do they need to be baked for? And what kind of temperature?

I didn't get many so I don't really have the resources to experiment in case I mess it up :(

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
This thread says virtually everything on the roasting of chestnuts.

Shelling large amounts of chestnuts can be hideous, I find when they are roasted a couple of taps with a pestle is my preferred way of shelling, as i dont get sore finger tips that way.
i have only ever done small amounts of flour and used a pestle for that as well. I found the inner skin kept together when I tapped the nut and the broken meat was easily separated. It almost did both jobs for the price of one.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
You can also boil them after you've split the shell. This makes them a lot easier to peel, then you can procede and oven-cook them for a bit, then grind them up into a flower.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE