Cherry tree resin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

John S

Hi folks the other day I noticed that some Cherry trees that had been damaged exuded a clear resin, which I collected.
It is water-soluble and has no significant odour or taste. As water evaporates from a dilute solution it thickens, becomes jelly-like and finally sets as a clear brittle solid
I thing it might make a good glue.

Any ideas?

John S

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Is it worth mixing the resin with some charcoal powder? I believe this takes some of the brittleness out of the dried resin.

While it is gellatinous I was not overly impressed with its adhesive quality of cherry sap. Charcoal can be used to temper pine pitch but I dont think it would improve cherry sap. I am having trouble coming up with a good use for it. A low calorie, tastless gum perhaps that wont stick to your dentures... :D

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
I collected a huge lump from a wild cherry (Prunus avium) about five years ago. I found it to be far from brittle. Still using the same lump. I use it for glueing whippings together. have fletched with it and alot more. Mixed with boiling water takes a while to Dissolve keep the soultion quite runny. Dries like varnish.
Give it a go John you'll never know until you try. :D

isotonicpies

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2005
I heard about the following glue somewhere along the line.

Holly leaves & any starchy cereal crop.

Add the both ingredients to water boil, pulp, & simmer down to a glue. Apparently for survial situations, you can paste it onto normal bird roosts and wait for them to get stuck. When one gets stuck leave it and it's flapping will attract other birds.

Never tried it though, it's just another one from the 'in theory' part of my brain.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
isotonicpies said:
I heard about the following glue somewhere along the line.

Holly leaves & any starchy cereal crop.

Add the both ingredients to water boil, pulp, & simmer down to a glue. Apparently for survial situations, you can paste it onto normal bird roosts and wait for them to get stuck. When one gets stuck leave it and it's flapping will attract other birds.

Never tried it though, it's just another one from the 'in theory' part of my brain.

I tried the holly bark boiled up for glue...supposed to cover it and leave it to sit to turn into a sticky mush.....ended up with a pot of what smelled like stale vomit :eek: :( No way am I trying that again. My neighbour has just pruned her holly tree though, might try the leaves and cereal mix though, I have barley and oats growing in the garden.
Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE