Cherry Leaf Damage

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We have been suffering severe damage to the leaves of one of our cherry trees and have been mystified as to the cause

Damaged Cherry Leaf by British Red, on Flickr

We have found out finally, but I bet someone here would have known what destroys cherry leaves,

So here is your chance to shine!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Looks like leaf miner damage….from a moth larvae.

or do you mean the torn/bitten out bits ? Wood pigeons do that to our geans.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D

It's supposed to give us shiny hair….maybe he's fluffing his feathers :D

Give him some nettles to peck to bits, that'll do him good too.

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Stupid things get fresh stuff every day. They adore brassica leaves - which is great when you have picked the cauli florets or broccoli. The chooks go nuts for the leaves and stalks

Chickens on Brassica by British Red, on Flickr

But this guy seems to like the taste of cherry leaves for pudding.

Go figure!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Haha, I did wonder when I saw the picture. Chooks and ducks can be pretty destructive in the garden I found. The geese and chooks I kept were mad for Brussel sprouts (which I hated anyway) and kale (which is one of my favourite things). They also used to like hanging round the neep slicer that I used for the sheep and cattle. The neeps seemed to keep them busy for a good length of time though I found it flavoured the eggs a bit. Which they also do with the milk from the cows. As a kid I could always tell when the cows went on to winter feed as the milk tasted of turnips when I was eating my porridge.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ours love kale too and especially chard. Not tried them on turnips but they will peck away at parsnips for hours. Wont touch carrot though?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Do the leaves not contain organo cyanide? Just remember having a bad reaction from the dust when making a run of cherry bows. Pretty sure I looked it up but may have only been the bark and stones.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Seems that chucks will eat most things - though I didn't know they avoided carrots lol . My grandfather had a large garden with a large potion of it fenced off for the chickens to roam free during the day. It was stripped of every trace of vegetation even though they got plenty of fresh stuff. Chickens will do a great job of clearing a patch of weedy ground and fertilise it too - if you can keep um where you want them, such as in a mobile run, otherwise you can garentee they'll choose to eat the stuff you don't want them to - like your cherry leaves!!

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I see V-shaped pieces torn out, not progressively chewed arcs such as caterpillars do. Not the semicircles harvested by leaf-cutter bees. Leaf miners would leave the surfaces intact, living in the interior of the leaf. Birds.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE