cherries, cherries, cherries.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
My local Tree is bursting with fruit this year.

Just made a batch of Cherry Schnapps and Cherry Brandy, plus whilst buying cheap booze from Tescos saw in the reduced fridge 3 punnets of blackberries at 30p each, so made a batch of Blackberry vodka and Brandy to give me a headstart before the wild ones appear...

Result :naughty:

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Seems a good year for cherries, I have a dwarf cherry in my garden and we even managed to beat the birds to the fruit this year.

yeah - the pigeons and blackbirds usually eat the whole lot before they are even ripe. - this is the first of many years where we have had a harvest of cherries at all.

I can't get enough of them!
atb
Andy

JIMMY2EGGS

Nov 24, 2009
bristol
Lucky man :D

Cherries dry well too. Split them in half and remove stones first.

They make a lovely munchie, but they're also excellent used in recipes just like raisins :cool:

cheers,
M

Great idea!
How do you dry them out, leave them out or in the oven at a low temp.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Split them and spread them out cut side up. I use a dehydrator, but the oven on low ought to do the job too.
They don't go crisp, they go kind of, well, raisiny.
Once they're dried out put them in a jar and keep an eye on it for a couple of days. If the jar mists up, they aren't dry enough to keep. Put them back in the oven or dehydrator and try for a little longer.
I don't bother rehydrating them, I just use them as they are.

cheers,
Toddy

Ruvio

Nomad
Hahah, cracking day in the sun today.
I thought lining them all up on the table would suffice to dry them
Which it did, under my watchful eye.
Nipped in the house to grab a cold drink, blackbirds everywhere, never seen that many at once

To be honest though, worth it just to see them enjoying themselves

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Gave them the first shake this morning, colouring up nicely. :)

cherries2010.jpg

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I've got some cherries growing in my little orchard bit, but they're as sour as a cats ****.
Some good suggestions here, I think I'll have a crack at doing some of that cherry brandy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE