Chequering (checkering) or knurling on knife handles, good or bad?

Chequering on knife handles

• A useful aid to grip

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Looks nice but offers no real advantages

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A viable alternative to a guard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Great idea, think I'll chequer my axe handles too

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • It's the mark of the devil

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • On some types of knives, yes, on others - no.

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Never used a chequered handle

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Never given it much thought

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
What are your thoughts (or even better, your experience) on chequering on knife handles?

Do you think that it improves grip or causes hotspots on your dainty hands?

i think it is well implemented on Falkniven knives but was perhaps too aggressive on the Chris Reeves survival knives (whatever happened to them?).

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Not sure about knives but with my mag-lite 3D the fine chequering section makes the torch more slippery to hold not more grippy. The smooth sections give better grip.

I suppose it would be the same with a knife handle, fine chequering would decrease grip and aggressive chequering that does increase grip could make hands sore with heavy use? Perhaps a smooth handle is best?

Steve.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Depends how heavy/well it's been done.

When I was taught to use a lathe years ago, you learned not to be to agressive knurling else it rips your hand apart. But, done correctly, it's fantastic.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've used some that had deliberately checkered hard handles (Schrade Old Timers, one Buck Stockman, and a bayonet) I liked them well enough but I don't know if they really improved the grip or not; I just took it for granted. I've used some with checkered rubber andles that were definitely a better grip but it's hard to tell if it was because of the checkering or the rubber.

Also what are we comparing them to? Just plain smooth grips? Or are we also comparing them to naturally rough grips such as leather or stag horn?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If you have work hardened hands you get no hot spots ....
I usually use knives with plain but not over polished wooden handles!

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I keep seeing posts when people don't quite like the shape of a knife grip where they say something along the lines of "I think that I would get blisters from that" and kind of wonder...

Seriously, being honest here... can anyone that's got blisters from a fairly normal (not a badly designed pair of pliers like an original Leatherman type thing) knife grip put their babies backside soft mitts up now? Anyone?

Is,"I think that will cause blisters" a euphemism for "That grip looks like it was designed on paper by David Blunkett"?

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I haven't voted in the poll because there isn't and "I don't care" option.

I have all sorts of hand tools, some handles have knurling of some kind, many don't. There are lots of different materials, mostly plastics and woods. As often as not the plastic handles have some sort of texturing, but usually the wooden handles have none of any kind and in fact they're often varnished. It seems to make little difference to the way I grip the tool, and I tend to take the view that if I have to grip it like there's a risk it will run away and hide then something is wrong and needs fixing. You need to be reasonably relaxed if you're work with anything for a long time, or you won't be nice to know. If the handle is too slippery then I'll probably just go over it with coarse emery cloth or wrap it with some tape or something like that. I can't remember the last time I did that, possibly it was on a shovel in the late 1970s. That was because it had steel bands running fairly high up the handle, and in the winter they were making my fingers very cold so I wrapped a few layers of tape around it to insulate it. I thought about doing that once for one of my Malaysian parangs, which has a copper ferrule which acts as a pretty good heat sink too. I guess it isn't a problem in the tropics. In the end I just used a machete instead.

I think I like Kraton best for handles on knives, it doesn't matter about any texturing to me. I don't like bolsters on any handle.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Seriously, being honest here... can anyone that's got blisters from a fairly normal (not a badly designed pair of pliers like an original Leatherman type thing) knife grip put their babies backside soft mitts up now? Anyone?

I got blisters from using my Alan Wood Bushcrafter for long periods. Even for short ones it used to give my hot spots on my palm.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE