Cheese Based Question aimed at Colonials.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Interesting you write about bone broth and repairing bones.
An old central European receipe to help heal broken bones is beef bone broth, where you add a dash of Apple cider vinegar to the water.
The acidity dissolves a bit of the calcium you then ingest.
Also a Brawn made from Calves Feet, again, cooked with Apple Cider vinegar

A decent pressure cooker will reduce the bones and cartilage to an enriched stock/soup.
If one likes meat, it's very good food indeed.

That said, fish can also be rich in calcium, especially salmonids, with their soft bones that are easily eaten.

M

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Sorry, I am truly sorry!
( will not edit my insulting previous post or it will be confusing!)

Industrial OJ with added Ca might have a higher level but I do not know how biologically easy uptake of that is. Calciferol ?

Reactions: Robson Valley

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
So the three of us made the taste session of Cheddars.
Coastal: The most flavoursome, ‘buttery’ flavour, pleasant ‘bite’, crumblyness:

Waitrose Cornish strength 7:
Less flavour, same butteryness, less bite, same crumblyness:

Even less flavour, less butteryness, less bite, less crumblyness:
Essential Waitrose mature strenght 6

Cabot Private black wax.
Bitter.
It was not the cheapest either, so will not throw it awsy.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Coastal (UK) is really good. Sells fast in the city, most buy 2 when they see it.
I have no objections to food doped up with essentials that people would refuse, otherwise.
Some won't eat out of a can, others won't touch fresh fruit.
Other things like apples, I like fresh and I like apple pie, if I made it from scratch.

If you can make cheese curds, keep everything sterile, add the yeast/bacterial culture of your choice,
press, vacuum wrap and 10C for 3 months. We saw 15 liters of milk make 1-2kg fresh cheese.

What annoys me the most is the preaching done by Health Agencies and the Big Brother approach
by the major food processors. Where do the outbreaks of E. coli and Listeria come from?
Not from the farm down the road.

We've got at least 2 Certified Organic veg farms close to the village.
Everything so clean, you just cook it or eat it.
A 5kg sack of carrots in the store could have come from Ecuador
and handled who knows how many times by X many people!

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I bought some carrots, size XXL when I bought the cheezes, for the first time ever.
Not sure of otigin, but those my dad used to call cattle carrots.
They are grown for cattle in parts of Europe.
Huge &totally tasteless. Might be they give them to cattle in the US too, but the smart ’buyer’ figured out us colonial suckers would pay good money thinking we got quality.

This sucker did!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
RobsonValley, I found a video of Hungarian goat cheese making. It was really interesting just how simply they managed it.
I'll see if I can re-find the link.

M

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
And not goat but sheep.....
:)

The end product the cheese looks really really tasty!

If you take the ’emptied’ liquid and boil it down, you get what vi call Messmör in Sweden ( Mysost or Brunost in Norway) which is a hugely popular spread on bread.
Full of Iron.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bought some carrots, size XXL when I bought the cheezes, for the first time ever.
Not sure of otigin, but those my dad used to call cattle carrots.
They are grown for cattle in parts of Europe.
Huge &totally tasteless. Might be they give them to cattle in the US too, but the smart ’buyer’ figured out us colonial suckers would pay good money thinking we got quality.

This sucker did!

We get huge Winter carrots, not so common nowadays though. They're absolutely wonderful cleaned and sliced into chunks a couple of cms long, and then slowly cooked in stew.
They're sweeter and tastier somehow, but they do need a long slow cooking.
I didn't know that carrots were grown for animal feed. Turnips/mangold wurzels are grown here for that, and I know that the French use parsnips that way (many French think parsnips are unfit for humans, but here they're considered best when they've been frosted).

M

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes it was in the old days, before the fortified feeds were developed.
Those Godzilla carrots I bought were utterly tasteless. Had one half watching Godless on Netflix.
I will stew some tomorrow and see.

We get some crap fruit and veg here. Transport chsin to long.
South America to somewhere in US, then to Miami, onto a boat to Cayman.
Mostly in refrigerated containers, but the time it takes.....

Yes, the French are a weird people, eating songbirds and stuffing geese and ducks while they are alive!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I made "cottage' cheese curds for 20+ years.
Used the typical cheese-making enzyme "rennet" or "rennilase".
Most bigger grocery stores should have it. Same thing that the pro makers use.

The key part is a big supply of cheap milk.
Next is a useful process to dispose of the whey,
assuming that you don't plan to make soft cheese.
I'll guess 15 liters of milk and you get 12-13 liters of whey.

I did the local 4-day cheese making workshop to learn what to do with the curds.
When and what to add for ripening, how to press and ripen, all those sorts of things.
Everything you can imagine and more changes the outcome.
Even the time of year for the milk and feed type, of course.

With a 10 page handout and all my marginal notations, it won't be hard at all.
Lots of these factors are beyond my control but if I can make a respectable Brie or Camembert,
I'll be happy to stop with that.
Rounding up equipment is the next part, I have a list on the wall.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
They say a copper vessel is best.
Put the whey in it, boil gently until reduced to a brown sticky mass. The more you reduce it, the darker it gets. The sugars caramellize.
Spread on rye bread and feel like a Viking!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I thought orange juice we buy is just pasteurized, ( concentrated and restitured) pressed juice from oranges.
Like you get by halving an orange and squeezing the juice out.

It is not do. They add orange peel oils, natural flavourings, sugar.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have no plans to mess with the whey. You do it. Outdoors right now it is -22C.
We could freeze the whey, chop it up and stack it by the back fence.

Ever been in a jam factory? There was a small one in Abbotsford, British Columbia.
In the ware house, the 45 gal lumps of frozen orange were thawing for a batch of Seville marmalade.
They all came from German orchards in Brazil.

The kitchen was upstairs, all stainless steel, everything you would expect.
From there, the jam went down by gravity to the canning lines below. Yes, 2 of them, different brands,
filling at the very same time from the same pipe from the same kettle upstairs.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands

We do need ireland, its our food producer satelite, but then again if not what would ireland do with all its farmers ? I can hardly see the eu doing tarriffs that would make canadian or australian beef cheaper, or nz lamb.

Me too. I react badly ro milk too, i do not know whether its lactose or not, i sometimes think it may just be the milk going bad after being out of the cow for more than 24 hours. It may not be harmful bacteria growth in a life threatening sense, but then again yqccult and activia bio pots get prescribed by the doctor. What turns milk bad over time is always present.

I used to have a very bad skin area on my back, dissapeared over night after 20 years once i changed from tea with milk to black coffee. May have been the te(tannin?) But i do not think so. Newer thought that itwas milk. I can eat 4 cheeze on toast though spread with butter fine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE