Cheese Based Question aimed at Colonials.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I thought orange juice we buy is just pasteurized, ( concentrated and restitured) pressed juice from oranges.
Like you get by halving an orange and squeezing the juice out.

It is not do. They add orange peel oils, natural flavourings, sugar.
No. They don't add any of that to anything labeled as "orange juice" Although they can and usually do market reconstituted from frozen (it's the only way we can have OJ all year round)They can't by law. They DO add the extra to stuff labeled as "orange flavored" or "orange drink."

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No, the labels willnot tell.
All ingredients must be listed on the labels (all food labels) It's mandatory unless the product is too small for such a label (then there must be a toll free phone number or website on the label where you can get the info)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Ok, I will quote the relevant parts of a couple internet sources, slightly changed

Civileats.com: ‘deaerated, -stripped of oxygen to prevent spoilage during storage - also stripped of flavour providing chemicals - adding flavour packs to the juice to make it taste fresh.
Are not listed as ingredientas as they are technically derived from arange essence and oils.
Different flavour packs for different markets. American market - higher amount of ethyl buterate. Mexican and Brazilian different compounds - terpenes as valencine.

Formulas vary to give trademark taste for different brands

Wikipedia: ‘specific coldpressed orange oils are added.
Sweetneners may be added - sugar, sugar syrup, invert sugar syrup, dextrose, corn syrup, dried corn syrup.

Canada they can add in addition to the above - amylase, cellulase, pectinase.

Uk - sugar may be added. Lost flavour may be restored using the same soecies of orange.

It is quite informative to spend 5 minutes on the internet, loads of various sources say the same: Orange Juice we buy is a processed, changed from the natural, product.

Do one test: buy some Valencia oranges, squeeze.
Buy a carton of ‘not from concentrate’ or ‘freshly swueezed’ Valencia OJ.
Taste the difference!

We still buy OJ, but we are lucky to be able to buy the Austrian brand Rauch. Less sweet, and fewer ingredients. The German and Austrian food regulations are different.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
How many orange groves are there in Germany and Austria?

ALL ingredients must be listed here by law. Sources are inaccurate. A producer can add anything they please BUT! they can't label it as OJ unless it's pure OJ (fresh, frozen, or reconstituted with water from frozen) and a minute amount of preservative (usually added vitamin C ironically) Anything else and it must be labeled as an "orange drink" or some similar name.

I've been drinking fresh squeezed OJ all my life except when overseas. That said, store bought oranges ain't all that great to be honest. Not compared to fresh out of the grove. Valencia never was among my favorites. Those would include Florida Juice Oranges, California Navels, and Blood Oranges. For simply eating out of hand the favorite has to be satsumas (preferably Louisiana satsumas)

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The orange juice is imported, just like the US imports from Brazil when the local production is not enough.
In Europe we get them mainly from Spain, Portugal, Greece. Then from outside Europe, from Turkey, Izrael, Marocco.

As China, India, Mexico and South Africa are big producers, specially China which is almost on par with US, I guess we all drink OJ containing that orange juice too!

There is an explanation to the ingredients listing, please read online.
Wiki is quick and easy, also explains the difference US, Canada, UK.

Edit: sources are not inaccurate, your thinking is. Open your eyes, the Big Food is fooling you, just like everybody else is fooled by them!

Next week, make the test! You are now in the Orange season, so easy for you. You live in the correct state even!

Myself, I am now enjoying both Californian and Floridian oranges, beautifully fresh!

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Right!
What cheeses do have on your Christmas ‘plank’?

We have Gorgonzola (It) Stilton (UK) Cheddar (UK) , Brie (Fr), Goat Brie (USA), extra aged Jarlsberg (No) and swedish Riddar ost.
We love cheese!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A round of smoke Bavarian (Germany), French Brie and a Camembert, Scottish Cheddar, Caboc and Dunlop Blue, English Wensleydale and Stilton.......and just because I love the stuff, individual portions of Marmite cheddar :D

M

Reactions: santaman2000

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Several "processed" cheeses = Imperial (Cdn), Kraft cheese slices for the kids.
Emma Brie (Cdn), Coastal (UK), somebody's Mozzarella. Old cheddar (Cdn)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
A round of smoke Bavarian (Germany), French Brie and a Camembert, Scottish Cheddar, Caboc and Dunlop Blue, English Wensleydale and Stilton.......and just because I love the stuff, individual portions of Marmite cheddar :D

M
Several "processed" cheeses = Imperial (Cdn), Kraft cheese slices for the kids.
Emma Brie (Cdn), Coastal (UK), somebody's Mozzarella. Old cheddar (Cdn)

Smoked Bavarian, Caboc, Dunlop Blue, Marmite Cheddar, Emma Brie, what are those?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Smoked Bavarian is as close to a 'processed' cheese as I'm happy to buy. Son2 likes it for some incomprehensible reason.
Caboc is a Scottish soft cheese rolled in pinhead oatmeal and is absolutely lovely :) They do a 'blast the sinuses clear' version that's rolled in ground black pepper too.
Dunlop Blue is an Ayrshire creamy cheese with blue veining. A beautiful smooth rich taste, brilliant on oatcakes.
Marmite Cheddar is a medium Ilchester cheddar that has been minced up, seasoned with Marmite and pressed into moulds. It's, for someone who loves Marmite, and cheese, is absolutely just so utterly more-ish.
Emma brie is the Canadian one that's so fluid that you can almost dish it out like thick cream :)

M

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Cheeses, Janne. Cheeses. Like Tresse' is a cheese.
Emma is a cheese company, in Quebec, I think. Their Brie is best consumed with a spoon.
Aha, Emma is the name of a company, not a type of cheese.
Like Tresse’s I assume. A company.

I would love to taste the Brie made by Emma! I assume it is a triple cream cheese?
Those made in France are heavenly!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just had a grilled ham & cheese sandwich for lunch: cheddar cheese & Virginia ham on sourdough bread. Grilled in butter. The only thing missing was the tomato soup.

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE