Cheeky overnighter with Lady of Tanith

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Managed to get an over nighter with the lovely Lady of Tanith on sunday
used it as an opportunity to test run the Roycroft i made and the kit list i had been playing with
got the camp set up

Lisa (lady of tanith) was in her hammock and i was ground dwelling with very basic comfor a CCF mat and Dutch wool blanket

got the fire lit using an upside down fire lay, my new favourite since Mesquite and i had a play with it a while back

course cant waste a good blaze so made a brew

mocha for me cherry hot chocolate for the lady
i recovered some cordage making skills

top one is something different-ash bark, i had intended to make a withy from a young ash shoot but the bark came off in my hands when i tried so i gave it a go, worked ok in truth
then down from that Willow, Nettle and lazy man option Ivy mangled until flexible wouldn't want to secure anything vital with it but i reckon it will work in a pinch
next up an experiment
Bramble cordage

gave up its outer fibres nicely but it didnt work out as soon as i came to the points where the thorns had been it went a bit wrong

still can learn from failure as well as success so not a total loss
Lisa then started on dinner

End result Chorizo and smoked sausage pasta nom nom nom nom nom

After dinner we had a meander around the permission and spotted some Shroom's

no idea what any of them are but still interesting to spot them

we then had a bit of a plink with my grandfathers air rifle

before spending the evening relaxing, watching the bushcraft tv and generally enjoying the woods time
after a relatively good nights sleep we woke up late (11:00) as the boy was with his nanny it was time for breakfast

sausage wraps and more coffee/hot chocolate
then we struck camp packed up and ambled back to the car

Thanks for looking
Sam (and Lisa)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Great write up. I did check with the thread title that it was from you - would have made me laugh otherwise! :D

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Thanks for sharing :)

Think I'm going to have to try that upside down fire lay concept, looks interesting.

That vinate rifle looks ace, any closer pics, model info, history etc? :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Another cracking report (sorry read them in the wrong order). Jezz that blaze would've boiled the can in seconds flat by the look of it! And some tasty looking grub too. Put's last night post tea bimble to shame. Looks a lovely spot to spend some time in, you're lucky to have good surroundings like that. Looks a fine nice of resources in there to play with and utilise.

Again really enjoyed it and FIVE Gold Stars for your homework as promised!:D (And no red pen).

I think it was frontier bushcraft who said aim for all blazes to do chest high flames as then when its wet cold miserable and vital you still have a good burn.

I'm very very lucky with my permission lots of resources there and plenty of other stuff not too far away that can be factored into the journey to gather for playin with back at camp.

YAY five stars. beat my entire school record

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE