Cheek

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi, in my continued attempt to spend all the money I haven’t got, yesterday I had a look around the web for a price on a large Opinel and an Opinel saw. I’ve been after one of each since I saw them in a shop in France when I was 10 (Geez, 28 years ago, having just realised how long I’ve been putting it off I don’t feel so bad for wasting the money). Anyway I found them on a site and half filled in the order form, then quit as I thought they were too expensive (£30) and the postage was £10.

Then, much later, I got a call from the shop in question to ask me why I didn’t complete the order. I said it was too expensive so he reduced the postage to a fiver. I said it was still too expensive and if he would wave the delivery and drop the price 10% he could have my credit card number (as I was a bit irritated that he had called, so didn’t really want to do business with him), he said YES! The two knives for £27 delivered, it just shows it pays to be cheeky!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Just a quick question if you only half filled in the order form and didn't submit it, how did they get your details to phone you back with?

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
was going to ask that.. its not suprising hes canvasing though.. with postage charges so i high i doubt he is doing a massive ammount of trade!?

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
That occurred to me, I think it was because it was one of those secure sites where you have to register then start to shop, but I thought I had pushed my luck far enough. No doubt some conman has just bought himself a car with my Visa!

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Well done Andy! Ive spent half the day taking online orders to the "CONFIRM" stage, and then cancelling them :p but so far noone has called me back and offered huge discounts! :confused: :( :confused:

:rolleyes:

:D

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I like this quote on the front page :
"We are happy to provide you with a discreet, personal service over the telephone."

Bet they deliver in a plain brown parcel :eek: :D

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I wanted one of those big opinel folding saws in the worst way and danged near ordered one from overseas but when I tallied it all up, I couldn't believe the price. Must have been close to $80 with shipping. Then a friend told me they had them here in the colonies at Smoky Mt. Knife works.

I picked one up for $25 plus $5 shipping. With all the import fees and higher shipping, don't know if this will help you or not.

Ya gotta be careful when the buying fever comes over you.... :)

Smoky Mt. Opinel

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi, that’s a really good price, but by the time you add the 19 Euros to get them to the UK it’s the same price as over here!

leon-1

Keith_Beef said:
An Opinel saw should cost you around €19 retail, without shopping around much.

http://couteaux-courty.com/cgi-bin/...ction=view_product&productID=0161&category=17

A companion Nº12 should cost around €11.
http://couteaux-courty.com/cgi-bin/...ction=view_product&productID=0173&category=17

Keith.

Keith, I know that Opinel sell replacement blades for thier laege folding saw, but have not been able to find anwhere that sells them as yet, any ideas as you are in France???

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi just an update for anyone interested.

My knives as yet haven’t arrived.

When I spoke to them on the 1st, they had just been dispatched by courier and would be delivered Saturday.

When I spoke to them on the 7th, they should have been delivered and they would contact the courier and find out and ring me straight back.

When they didn’t, today I rang and they said “according to their record, they were on route” on asking them to check their records as they seemed to change a little, they said they had defiantly gone yesterday, by post.

http://www.outdoorsman.co.uk/, draw your own conclusions.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Yes they are, that’s why I didn’t originally order, only after they rang me and dropped the price and waived the postage. Could have been a big mistake!

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Knives arrived last night and I’m very happy with them.

The No12 was completely blunt, which surprised me, but managed to put a bit of an edge on it with some 600 wet and dry, but the razors edge that gets banded around is way beyond me!

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I'm not a big fan of Opinel's. I've gone through 3 of them in the last 2 years. 2 were Number 7 carbons, and 1 was a Number 8 stainless. The steel is excellent quality, and both types held a good edge. First Nations over here used to use them for woodcarving, before they were able to get hold of proper carving tools. But, the clasps are incredibly weak, and break quite easily. Also, they are not very well balanced at all, the blades are far heavier than the handles. The yatagan blade profile is good for deep cuts, but the tip is extremely delicate.

I've found that my Victorinox holds just as good as an edge, and I've had mine since I was 8 years old.

If you are set on using an Opinel, sand down the handle, and varnish it heavily.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers,

Adam.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE