cheapo ebay bag liner?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

-greenman-

Jun 1, 2017
cambs
hi everyone, first post :)

i'm in the middle of putting together a bushcraft kit and i've bought myself one of those czech bedrolls (you know the ones)
i saw another thread on here about replacing the linen liner with silk to make it more lightweight which makes sense because that thing is HEAVY
anyway i went on ebay, expecting them to cost more than i can afford, and came cross these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Single-Si...hash=item465a00c5e8:m:mC-An43PwCJnLFK1ulz6cAQ

they seem to be chinese made, and i'm not sure if they're genuine silk or not, but they would certainly mean saving a bit of money and weight.

i don't know if anyone has bought one of these or not but i would appreciate any thoughts on whether it's worth it? could i do without a liner at all or is the (wool?) blanket going to be too itchy?

thanks

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Other vendors describe the material as 'pongee' not silk, so more likely to be a polyester or cotton mix. Picked up a similar sleeping bag liner from Wilko's a couple of years ago and that weighs in at 265g with its stuff sack, oddly enough it was also just under a fiver. Trespass did have some ridiculously light all polyester liners sub 100g but don't know if they still do them and they probably cost more than you paid for the bed roll! Best thing to do is spend a night or two in it and see how you feel. The good weather is here (sort of) and there is no shame testing gear in the back garden.

-greenman-

Jun 1, 2017
cambs
well i found someone on ebay selling them for £2.99 so i decided to give it a go, it should be here in a couple of days. I'll put my thoughts up on here if anyone's interested

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Aslong as you don't expect an increase in warmth, you should be fine :p. I've found most liners use to just be keeping your sleeping bag clean. Warmth might be there, but not really much which is noticeable, maybe 1-2C

-greenman-

Jun 1, 2017
cambs
ok well i got it and i'm a bit disappointed. the stitching seems extremely flimsy and there was a half of a small plastic popper (like you might get on a duvet) to hold the sheet closed, but no corresponding part on the other side. even for an envelope shape it feels restrictive, although I am pretty large.

however it was only 2.99 :p and now I have a good few square feet of some kind of material (not sure if it is silk but it is certainly very smooth and shiny and it feels pretty good next to the skin) I may open it out and use it as a sheet in some other way or just cut it up and use it for some other project later on (i have (very) limited funds so I'm not going to let my 3 quid go to waste). one final recommendation though - if you do get one, don't get a black one. I bought it because it seemed like the most "bushcrafty" colour available but with the shininess of the material it actually looks more like a bin liner than anything else

anyway altogether not a bad deal for quite a lot of potentially useful fabric (maybe as a liner to a jacket or some sort of pillowcase or browse bag) but basically useless as a bag liner.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE