Cheapest, warmest, most waterproof mainstream jacket available?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
I've been asked this by my brother who doesn't want a camo or equivalent jacket.

He prefers mainstream or similar and as title says he's looking for a waterproof, warm jacket/coat that is new for cheap as possible. I've thought hard and long and sent him to places like go outdoors but thought it would be good to see what people like and use on here.

If you've got any reviews or comments or can recommend any then let's hear it.

Ta, Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
What you want doesn't exist. Just go with layers, it'll work a lot better. waterproof shell, windresistant shell, fleece (or wool or whatever you prefer) layers for warmth, decent longsleeve base layer. It'll take you from summer to winter. It's also a lot more handy to regulate temperature: around freezing, and no rain: i have enough with a light fleece and base layer, while i'm active (walking). If it starts raining a waterproof shell without the fleece, and it's ok too. If i get chilly, i take out the fleece again. Try that with a warm waterproof jacket. You'll put the jacket on, and if you're still moving, you'll be sweating like crazy, and just make your jacket wet from the inside.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Yes, IC_Rafe has it right. Layers are flexible, easy and cheap. TKMaxx, GoOutdoors etc will all have stuff for not a lot, if the person doesn't have some stuff already. You can buy 'Interactive' kit, but I can never be bothered to zip the fleece into my jacket - as long as one fits comfortably over the other, its fine.

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
Thanks guys, he's gone with the Mil-Tec.
I'll let you know how he gets on as I tend to agree with IC about the layering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Old thread but.... Mascot Genova coat. I was given one by work 6 years ago and its still going strong and I treat it like rubbish. I have been through the most spikey bushes imaginable with mine. It has never let water in and I once wore it in a 20hr shift of almost constant heavy rainfall. It's warm enough that I have worn it in snow storms with only a base layer and a micro fleece for a good few hours. It's not the last word in movement or breathability but it breaks in a little to move a bit less restrictively after a while.

The RRP isnt so low, but I have seen them pop up on ebay new in cellophane for about £50... Im guessing when workers are issued a new one and are still happy with the old one.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Do layers. Waterproof shell. As many layers underneath as you need to be happy.
Got to do 4 days out in open boats 8+ hrs/day, 5C and 5-6" total rain. I was dry.

Go to a chandler's. Its a range of waterproofs that bushcraft folks never consider.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Do layers. Waterproof shell. As many layers underneath as you need to be happy.
Got to do 4 days out in open boats 8+ hrs/day, 5C and 5-6" total rain. I was dry.

Go to a chandler's. Its a range of waterproofs that bushcraft folks never consider.
It's an interesting approach and one worth looking at if you aren't doing high energy stuff. I find most sailing gear heavy and sweaty. A lot of boating is a few minutes of frantic activity then hours of sitting (or standing) exposed to the weather so the gear tends to be very durable, waterproof but sweaty.
My wife has a set of salopettes and a jacket that kept her warm when steering at the back of the barge, over woolly jumpers. I wore pile&pertex with old army goretex - but then was spending time in engine room getting oil on me so didn't want the expensive stuff.

Stood on the aft deck of a boat steering has to be one of the coldest occupations there can be. No shelter, often exposed to spray and no physical activity.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I bought what was called an offshore sailing coat with wrist seals, etc. It really is waterproof therefore bound to be sweaty with exercise. Very expensive bin bag.
Houdini wrote the instructions for opening the pockets. Just weighed it = 1.2kg = 2lbs 10oz or so. That's a lot less that the commercial fisher's gear we had for work.

OMark

Mar 26, 2017
UK
Layering is the way to go, a nice waterproof shell with some layers under so you can peel them off as needed. TK Maxx is great if you don't mind sifting through tons of stuff and maybe making several trips, but I've found some great finds there.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE