Cheapest down coat?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
Hi, can anyone recommend a warm down coat that’s not extortionately expensive? It’s just to roll up and keep in my kit, so it doesn’t have to be ridiculously durable or anything, just a nice warm layer when needed.

It doesn’t have to be down, I suppose, I just like how small they roll up and how warm they are. Any other material with those properties will be considered.

Thanks for the help.

Dean77

Dec 13, 2015
Derbyshire
I've just ordered one of these from trespass for the same purpose....something packable, cheap but does the job.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
I've just ordered one of these from trespass for the same purpose....something packable, cheap but does the job.

Looks perfect, mate. Exactly what I’m after. Thanks very much.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Decathlon do a range of jackets and gilets at a good price. Worth a look, I h ave one of the warmer ones and very pleased with it.
Also have a Craghoppers compresslite jacket that packs down to nothing but has been wonderfully warm and really surprised me how nice it is.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
A slight subject change now that I’ve ordered my jacket, but would anyone know of a decent quality merino wool base layer for a reasonable price, too? Just to save me making a second thread. About threads.

Dean77

Dec 13, 2015
Derbyshire
Looks perfect, mate. Exactly what I’m after. Thanks very much.
Did a little bit (not loads)of research too and even YouTube reckons it does the job so shouldn't be too bad!! Ordered mine only yesterday so very timely post!!!

Dean77

Dec 13, 2015
Derbyshire
A slight subject change now that I’ve ordered my jacket, but would anyone know of a decent quality merino wool base layer for a reasonable price, too? Just to save me making a second thread. About threads.
Bizarre.....I was shopping for that too only yesterday haha. Haven't found anything yet though so watching this thread with interest now.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
Did a little bit (not loads)of research too and even YouTube reckons it does the job so shouldn't be too bad!! Ordered mine only yesterday so very timely post!!!

Just ordered the green one. Thanks again.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
Bizarre.....I was shopping for that too only yesterday haha. Haven't found anything yet though so watching this thread with interest now.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Mowmow and Dean77

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
Haha brilliant!!! I ordered green too!!!

Just found this on Amazon as well, mate. You can get the bottoms too.

I thought I’d let you know, I wouldn’t want you buying something that I haven’t got.

Reactions: Mowmow

Dean77

Dec 13, 2015
Derbyshire

Just found this on Amazon as well, mate. You can get the bottoms too.

I thought I’d let you know, I wouldn’t want you buying something that I haven’t got.
Looks good actually so ordered the blue top for obvious reasons. Thanks for that.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Nice get.

Merino stuff seems to vary little in price generally, one manufacturer to another. Though John Fenna recently pointed out that Aldi stuff is pretty good and much more affordable. Personally, I get Smartwool stuff in the sales, and periodically scrape up cash and order things directly from New Zealand (NZ NAture for eg. but there is a bunch of companies). Also, there is this other wool starting to make a showing: Rambouillet, grown in the US and apparently as good as Merino. It is cheaper at the moment. (I haven't tried any of it)

Aside .... This is a bit OT, but I only just discovered this factette, and thought I'd share. I was out for 3 1/2 hours today trotting around the mountain bike trails in the local ravines now that nobody is going to really be using them for a bit.

Wearing and Arcteryx Atom LT jacket, I was ... which I usually wouldn't have because it is a bit warm for that sort of thing. Anyway, though it was cool and dry when I left the house, the weather soon shifted to about 2C and that persistent rain stuff the whole time I was out; sometimes fierce-ish, sometimes just heavy drizzling. I was surprised to see that the DWR on the jacket didn't fail at all. It just kept beading up and rolling off. Wetted out a bit at the cuff.

The Atom isn't quite as breathable as the Rab Vaporise lines. I'd been blaming that on the Coreloft it uses. Now I think it's the DWR and the weave of the nylon shell. The point is that I hadn't realized this before now - it is more or less a waterproof jacket for a certain duration of waterproof. I have been idly thinking about getting the AR version of this one, but the expense seems silly. Now I am not so sure about that. And, they are a lot cheaper in the April/May sales. An actually waterproof, belay-type jacket for the same price as it would cost me here to buy a hooded Buffalo.

Kilbith

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2013
South West
Hi, can anyone recommend a warm down coat that’s not extortionately expensive? It’s just to roll up and keep in my kit, so it doesn’t have to be ridiculously durable or anything, just a nice warm layer when needed.

It doesn’t have to be down, I suppose, I just like how small they roll up and how warm they are. Any other material with those properties will be considered.

Thanks for the help.

Beside "first name" sometimes very good but always expensive, you could have a look at something like Uniqlo. They have some nice products (some look like M65 liner if you like "military look") :

They are not very rugged, not best down, not a lot of down so they are not very warm, but they are very light, not very expensive and compact. The way to find something warmer and (very) versatile : if you could buy it on sale, you could buy two (L and XL) or vest+jacket.

(I am not at all affiliated with Uniqlo and probably you could find something like this elsewhere (LLbean? walmart?). But since Uniqlo is everywhere it is easier than to design national brand)

Last edited:

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
Mountain Warehouse is where I found Merino base layers the cheapest at £30 for the top & £30 for the bottom. Been using mine for ages and have no issues with them, just bought a second pair to use in bed for chilly nights.

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Hi guys,
Not sure how to post links, but there's a website called Sport Pursuit, sells Isobaa merino wool goods for a fair price, 50% off retail prices I think. Loads of different colours etc.

ATB,

Allan
c668542bc4a4a16d3868b0d528bbcecf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE