Cheapest air rifle with scope for rats at 35 foot distance.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
If your interested I have a mate who is selling a rat catcher air rifle for around the £100 mark might be able to bargain him down some and I'll toss in a few C02 bulbs I have in my possession. It's been owned and used by my mate as his go to rat rifle for about 8 years so a few cosmetic dings but works like a charm.

Edit:
The MK4 is a nice trap, I have lost count how many I have had snap back on me after filing down the plate trigger a little to far, but for the love of god don't bait them it's treated as a crime and it also can cause problems with the kill as they are designed to crush the rib cage I have seen traps set incorrectly and seen Rat's and Rabbits (in a MK6) escape (before your horrified I finished them off with a .22 or a shotgun before they ran off wounded, nor did I watch them suffer I have seen the escapes when checking taps very few caught in the trap).

But not exactly useful in a garden environment, cat's tend to poke dead rats and the traps can close more than needed and trap and harm a cat. Poison isn't the answer for humane reasons, so shooting is the best answer in this case. In the past I would say though if you can bait them in if shooting, put out a bit of white card with a digestive soaked in the water from a tuna can or a stock cube diluted in water, you can pick and chose your targets.

Last edited:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
but for the love of god don't bait them it's treated as a crime

Is that true? I had no idea!

Cheers spikey... £135 for the kit seems pretty decent value. I have only ever fired shotguns at clays and AK47's at anything in infront of me. No idea about picking things off quietly to be honest - I may just get some traps that capture so I can ensure a clean kill.

Bumpy

Forager
Apr 18, 2008
West Yorkshire
You could have a look at the SMK SYN XS...

http://www.ronniesunshines.com/smk-syn-xs-177-air-rifle-1.html

No connection to seller etc etc

I'd add my vote to Spikey's suggestion. Get yourself one of those and a tin of these, and Robert is your father's brother:

dsc01205dt.jpg

Oh and the old wisdom was ".22 for fur, .177 for feather".
Or you could borrow a cat... one of ours decapitates rats and leaves them on the doorstep...
Good luck!

Last edited:

Bumpy

Forager
Apr 18, 2008
West Yorkshire
£135 for the kit seems pretty decent value.

It seems rather steep to me. I got the same rifle with a decent enough SMK scope for £69 in Wells Next The Sea at M L Walsingham & Son. I got a bag on ebay for £13 delivered and a trigger lock for £5. The pellets are not cheap (£8.50 a tin) but very accurate and they pack a real punch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE