Cheapest 4x4 on a budget?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
this guy came up to me yesterday and asked me if i would swop him -his freelander for my defender !! I said no thanks mate - my wife doesn,t drive ,so i would have no need for it !! ..................... His face was a picture !!!:lmao::lmao:

markphelan

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2011
Birmingham UK
The Pinin looks to be an excellent buy - we have a newer Mitsubishi for my wife to do her nursing visits in the winter and it's quite capable in the snow even with standard tyres. I'm actually considering getting one myself to just use in the winter months as a cheap 4WD, it's not the cost of buying it that's the problem but the ongoing insurance, tax, MOT, etc.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
The Pinin looks to be an excellent buy - we have a newer Mitsubishi for my wife to do her nursing visits in the winter and it's quite capable in the snow even with standard tyres. I'm actually considering getting one myself to just use in the winter months as a cheap 4WD, it's not the cost of buying it that's the problem but the ongoing insurance, tax, MOT, etc.

Mine was astonishing last year even on 100% road tyres, it just belted through the snow no problems at all. When you consider the next village along from us was closed off due to snowfall, they couldn't even get in with JCB's, that tells you what it was like.

I've just bought a set of spare alloys for it, from a Mitsi FTO, which are slightly wider (6.5 inch instead of 6 inch) and coupled with spacers and a wee suspension pan tweak, will allow me to run 235/70 tyres instead of the 215/65s.

Hence, come winter proper, it'll be running Insa Turbo's. Happy days indeed.

Sep 16, 2011
US
I like the Suzukis and the Mitsubishis but I'd probably go for a Hilux Surf. It should go plenty of miles with little maintenance or problems. The Vitaras are nice but I think the Hilux Surf is more durable and capable of off road.

harrisp

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2011
Alfreton, Derbyshire
How does the Frontera sport (swb) compare with a 2.8D SWB Pajero?

Also what common faults do Pajeros suffer from?

They are easily as good off road, although some pajeros have a rear locking diff.
Get a 2.8 frontera and the engine will be very reliable and you will have very little problems with it.

harrisp

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2011
Alfreton, Derbyshire
Yes it's a 2.0 Sport. To be honest it will get mainly used on the road so most of the time it will be in 2wd.

Then it will be fine, mine took a lot of hammer before I broke it, they are also probably one of the nicest cheap 4x4 to drive on road, although big tyres and a lift soon changes that as with all 4x4s

harrisp

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2011
Alfreton, Derbyshire
not a handfull on the road but it is certainly different. your best bet is to test drive one, but it will be a big shock going from a normal car to even a standard 4x4 if you aren't used to driving them.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I've had a 2.2 petrol SWB Frontera for a couple of years now and it's been great. Get's me anywhere I want to go and has been very reliable so far. I've only ever had to replace a wheel bearing and it just flew through another MOT :)

I've lifted it 2" and fitted bigger tyres and it's great to drive on or off road.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Fronteras have a decent following in the USA, where they are badged as the Isuzu product. People like them, they find them tough and easy to maintain.

Same as the Pinin, which has a large following in Brazil and Australia, and is known for similar traits.

It's the UK where we have a 'Landy or nothing' attitude to off roaders. Fair play to that, they are made here after all. It just gets a little bit tiresome when people can't see past them.

Oh, and as for the 1.8 petrol Freelander, dear Lord, just dont. Have a look on www.mg-rover.org at the freelander section, and they just eat head gaskets. The fanboys will say they don't, but if they are honest they will admit to having changed them usually more than once.

The diesel ones are nice enough, but even then it's a haldex system, not a proper 4x4 system. No low range for example. They do drive far more like a road car than a Pinin does though, if thats important to you.

However, I've used the Pinin's low range, locked diff for real before, when pulling a friends car out of a snow covered ditch. It works, and I value having it. His neighbour had tried to pull him out in his freelander, and didn't manage it, moaning that it nearly wrecked his clutch trying. The wee pinin did it first go.

That says enough for me about them.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
not a handfull on the road but it is certainly different. your best bet is to test drive one, but it will be a big shock going from a normal car to even a standard 4x4 if you aren't used to driving them.

My current car is a Mk1 MR2 so anything will feel different to driving that.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
What’s the difference between the pajero and Pinin surely they are the same vehicle except one is an import?

Really looking for something with good road manners since that’s where it will spend most of its life.

What is the Toyota Rav4 3-door like?

ratcatcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
grays,essex
my vote goes to the vitara, bought 5yrs ago for £500, always sails through mot's, has only needed a new rear prop shaft, and that only cost me £60, ok, it was hairdresser red, but a couiple of cans of paint and a weekend made it look better, great for off roading, mainly use for lamping from

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE