Cheap Sporks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ChrisWebb2020

Mar 1, 2016
Kingstanding, Birmingham
I'm still getting kit together and I'm on a budget, so while browsing ebay and amazon I found these TITANIUM SPORKS MADE IN CHINA.

99p, free postage.

Can these actually be titanium? They are listed as such and are they likely to be any good? Is it worth buying a few just for back-ups and spares?

EDIT:
Mine has arrived, it's junk. DON'T BUY THEM GUYS!

Last edited:

K813ZRA

May 1, 2015
Spain
I'm still getting kit together and I'm on a budget, so while browsing ebay and amazon I found these TITANIUM SPORKS MADE IN CHINA.

99p, free postage.

Can these actually be titanium? They are listed as such and are they likely to be any good? Is it worth buying a few just for back-ups and spares?

I haven't got a clue if they are really Titanium but at the price I think it is worth the gamble. If it doesn't work out, I have never been disappointed with my Light My fire Sporks.

ChrisWebb2020

Mar 1, 2016
Kingstanding, Birmingham
I haven't got a clue if they are really Titanium but at the price I think it is worth the gamble. If it doesn't work out, I have never been disappointed with my Light My fire Sporks.
It does specify that the material it's made from is titanium, but like you said, at 99p it's cheaper than plastic.

Which brings me to another question:

Does the material make that much if a difference and are the branded ones, like Light My Fire, a premium because of the name or is the design superior?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"I'm still getting kit together and I'm on a budget" - convert an old tea/spoon by hacksawing to make fork tines, and sharpening 1 edge

I bought one. It turned out to be stainless steel and was bigger than a LMF one, almost completely flat and weighed a ton. I argued with the eBay seller and they eventually refunded me. Avoid

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
You could get one and perform a density test based on the Archimedes principle using displacement of water to get the objects volume. A good set of electronic kitchen scales will get you the mass to the nearest gram and from both figures you can work out if it's actually Titanium.
Titanium has a density of 4.506 g/cc, Aluminium is lighter (2.7 g/cc) and Iron and steel are heavier (7.8 g/cc).

Sep 11, 2014
Maidstone, KENT
You could get one and perform a density test based on the Archimedes principle using displacement of water to get the objects volume. A good set of electronic kitchen scales will get you the mass to the nearest gram and from both figures you can work out if it's actually Titanium.
Titanium has a density of 4.506 g/cc, Aluminium is lighter (2.7 g/cc) and Iron and steel are heavier (7.8 g/cc).

Thank-you Mr. Bishop.

Archimedes will have to wait.
My scientific test will involve scraping, bending & biting !

Opening a tin of beans with a spork only seems like a good idea:)

ChrisWebb2020

Mar 1, 2016
Kingstanding, Birmingham
Ah, that I can do. I'm a chef, good kitchen equipment is something I have ample access to. Thanks for that, didn't think of it.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51

Or the quick approach, you do a visual inspection and then test with really strong Neodymium magnet.

The pictures seem to show a rather ropy spoon bowl. Kind of like nettle cordage compared to climbing rope!

Of course the ultimate, even better then Titanium, is a DU spork because you can punch straight through the top of even armour plated cans whilst irradiating you beans at the same time! :rolleyes:

Interesting that this one is claiming to be SS (not Nazi memorabilia) but using the same pictures! :confused:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-in-1-Sp...JD-/201503062670?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

I wonder if the whole outcome of WW2 would have been different if they had been issued Titanium Sporks with their mess tins, they would have been virtually unstoppable. Just think of the weight saving alone.

Last edited:

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
I brought one of these a while ago, slightly larger than the LMF spork, and made of steel despite what the advert states. Works quite well though.

ChrisWebb2020

Mar 1, 2016
Kingstanding, Birmingham
So just use a spoon from the kitchen draw or practice bushcraft skills by carving a spoon or even a spork... do not waste cash on buying tat!
View attachment 39908
View attachment 39909
Sporks - especially pink plastic ones - are the work of the devil!
Thank you for the sound advice, I've wasted enough cash on tat over the years instead of investing in quality, I've learned that the hard way.

Lovely work by the way.

stonepark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
They don't look like the official Fire Maples and may be a secondary run or stainless.

I have two of the FM sporks (about £7 each), and they have definite ridges running along the lengths.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Just had mine delivered. And they are definitely not titanium. As I tested them on a fridge magnet and it stuck.
They look ok not super thin but they aren't going to get a good write up on flebay.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE