Cheap pot stand for Trangia burner.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Noius

Mar 6, 2012
England
Thought I'd share with you my pot stand I use with my Trangia, only cost £2.

It's a metal pen pot from Staples. Link

Here it is in the flesh.
hIaWrh.jpg

Burner and spork for size reference.
cyKjdh.jpg

Trangia fits inside perfectly with just a few mills spare.
EkbF7h.jpg

Mug on top.
1YXn7h.jpg

Pot stand, burner, lighter and spork all fit inside mug with room to spare for bag of tea, coffee etc. Mug is an alpkit MyTiMug.
fX6Imh.jpg

One problem is that it is coated with paint, and I'm not sure if it is galvanised underneath either. Here's what it looks like after being used. It looks bad and gave off some nasty fumes.
EhnRkh.jpg

I threw it on the hobo stove and stood well back. Then I rubbed it down with wire wool, after that I let it soak in a tub of water and steradent, and gave it another rub down with wire wool. I assumed I was at bare metal when it rusted, but it cleaned up well. Before and after shot, with the base cut off too.
crWqFh.jpg

Cutting the base off makes it easier to light and snuff out the Trangia, but I cut off a bit too much with a wonky cut and the lower pot height increased the boil time, but not by a lot. I bought another and this time I'll leave it intact as I want the quickest boil time and the extra durability of having the base attached.

Here's a few pics of the cut down one in use.
I74azh.jpg

nznx9h.jpg

The vargo wind shield/pot support in this pic is rubbish, worst £12 I've ever spent. Not recommended, I only used it because I have it and I've yet to make something.
u3Tquh.jpg

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
What a good idea. I love it when people post items put to a bushcraft use the designer didn't intend. I would never have clicked on this use without your post, thanks
Alan

Noius

Mar 6, 2012
England
Nicely done, the one with the base cut off looks to be a better height from the pot

goodjob

Thanks. The cut down will be a little more stable, but there is almost a minute increase in boil time for 450ml in ideal conditions. Around 5 minutes for full size and around 6 minutes for the cut down one. Never measured the meths usage though.

What a good idea. I love it when people post items put to a bushcraft use the designer didn't intend. I would never have clicked on this use without your post, thanks
Alan

Your welcome. That's why I posted it as I thought it might be of interest to someone else.

It was on here that I found out about the Ikea hobo stove, something I never would have used if not for others sharing the ideas.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
I too love it when someone uses something that it was not intended for!
Great idea, and well executed!
Should be fine now that you have burnt the paint off!
Congrats!!

Noius

Mar 6, 2012
England
Yeah, now that the paint is off it doesn't smell or smoke with use, so I'm happy using it. Still wrap it in a freezer bag though along with the Trangia to make sure the mug stays clean.

Noius

Mar 6, 2012
England
It was marketed as a combined windshield and pot support. As a windshield it is ok, but as a pot support it is very flimsy and none of the sides are equal so it was very hard to get the mug balanced well. It is badly built and doesn't fold away on itself as it should. The idea of having the windshield also work as a pot support, at least in this design, doesn't work as even a small gust causes the whole thing to collapse on itself.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
nice bit of kit. you could fabricate your own windshield from the side wall of a pop can or some hard temper alu foil. just use a hole punch to put some air vents in. best to wire wool the paint off the can wall first though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE