Cheap meths

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
Hi

This is the cheapest I have found from b&m meths for £1.86, think asda is £3.00,wilco is the same I think?

Any cheaper out there?

qCr3p6zJ9IEeneMiiL7cxSpOqXpenEIbYeCo-YMQ8J0hceXT5Y-AJEFtvuteK4TTpRI1TY2x=w1912-h2542-rw

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Hi buster,
I was mistakenly under the impression nobody was using methylated spirits for cooking any more because of the July 2013 European legislation banning the use of methylated spirit in the UK in camping stoves for cooking. (see edit below)

Back in Feb 2014 I switched to & I bought 16 liters of Bio~ethanol (the stuff ment for in door decorative fires) from B&Q @ £5 for 2 liters It's was at the time typically £11 cheaper than meths, That's less than 1/3 of the price.
I'm still working my way through it got tones left still & have used my stoves loads it burns hotter & slower than meths so I am using a lot less & cooking quicker, I recommend the switch to bio~ethanol

(edit:~ The cheeky rascals at ekofuel.org use the existence of this charter to promote their product Bio-ethanol, actually its just a clever marketing ploy on behalf of ekofuel they are claiming "methylated spirit, the traditionally used fuel for alcohol camping stoves in the UK has been outlawed by European legislation as at July 2013." the also go on to say "You will however continue to see methylated spirits in the shops for a few months until existing stocks are depleted."

The July 2013 European legislation doesn't actually mention banning the use of methylated spirit in the UK for camp cooking, its about the removal of Methanol from meths, as the denatureant.)

Alan

Last edited:

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Sorry I was thinking you had a source of a single litre for a pound, 20 litres a time is too rich for me. Thanks anyway

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I use a place called Restexpress, usually the first place in a Google search of meths.

£41 for 20 litres plus a couple quid for shipping. If you order over £50 shipping free.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Looking at the various options. It appears that Methanol has about 1/3rd less calories per gram as Ethanol, Not to mention being toxic to burn, and being toxic when absorbed through the skin... Are there any suitable suppliers of Ethanol at affordable prices?

J

Hi Alan,
Robert here from Ekofuel. Just read your thread above. Sorry you feel we somehow mislead you, although i cant see how as what we said is true. Methylated spirits was banned, as you say because of the methanol used as a denaturant. What you see on the shelves is not the meths that it used to be. The colour has been left in, purely for consumer familiarity. Methanol as a denaturant has been removed and an alternative used. Methylated spirits no longer exists as we stated. What remains is a safer visual representation of methylated spirits, but it is basically ethanol with colour and a reduced % of denaturant. Most ethanols are chemically derived. Our fuels (EKOFUEL) are all derived from crop waste and can so be classed as bio ethanol. We use a small % of denaturant and no colour. It has a higher calorific value than old meths and if used right will burn clean. Sooting as you know, is all about how clean the fuel combusts, which is all down to the burner. I wrote a blog here about how to use Ekofuel on a Trangia. http://www.ekofuel.org/blog/running_trangia_on_bioethanol/ I hope this helps, any questions about our fuels drop me an email robsmith@primaind.co.uk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE