Cheap leathercraft overstitcher alternative

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
They might require a lot of stitching if used due to the amount of teeth. I find a fork works well. Good find though!

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
nothing to stop you using every other mark - the marks will be hidden by the stitching after all!

Is what I started with...... I also ground off every other spike to make wider spacings but missing marks works just as well (you can even do looooong stitches by missing two or even three

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
An even easier way is to get an old clockwork toy, or alarm clock and remove all the gear wheels. Saw a slit in a length of dowel, slip a gear wheel in the slit and pop a panel pin through to act as an axle for the wheel to spin on. Loads of different size wheels, different teeth spacings and an infinite variety of possibilities for next to nowt.

Eric

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use an embroidery tracing wheel that has a plastic handle and a metal toothed wheel - 50p from my local market haberdashery stall.
I removed every other tooth and it works brilliantly.
I also have a couple of antique wooden handled, brass and iron stich marking wheels ... but I prefer my plastic fantastic one!

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
I use an embroidery tracing wheel that has a plastic handle and a metal toothed wheel - 50p from my local market haberdashery stall.
I removed every other tooth and it works brilliantly.
I also have a couple of antique wooden handled, brass and iron stich marking wheels ... but I prefer my plastic fantastic one!
I have purchased 2 of the tools shown in the first post and have done exactly what john fenna has done by removing every other tooth with a small engraver and diamond bit on one of the tools.
It looks perfect for the job. I hope to use it at some point in the future.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE