Cheap Knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Thought i'd share this little find with you all. (and attempt my first pic post).

DSCF1578.jpg

The top knife is obviously my Mora and the bottom knife is a Blackspur i found on Ebay for £2.49 (Buy it now) + £1.68 P&P, A grand total of £4.17.

The sheath is as nasty as it looks, no click into position as with the Mora, just friction on the side of the knife. I did manage to push the blade through the bottom of the sheath first time i replaced it with no effort on my part.

DSCF1579.jpg

Both knives have the same length blade and handle, but the Blackspur has a thicker blade and a 'fatter' handle.

DSCF1583.jpg

Whereas with the Mora a little work is required to square off the back of the blade for striking a spark from your ferro rod, the Blackspur comes ready squared.

DSCF1585.jpg

Just thought it might be a good first knife for anyone on a tight budget (and as an afterthought, this knife would be great for anyone with 'grip' problems).
If i can find it, i'll post a link to the Ebay seller.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Hi Tony,

Last year I went camping with my family and my brother and his mob. I arrived to find myself knifeless :( \

I found one of the Blackspur knives and one of those small diamond pen-style sharpeners in a tool shop. I carved all sorts of stuff (Harry Potter wands, boats, bog roll holder, toast rack etc etc). It handled it fairly well, although I did roll the edge slightly battoning through a piece of oak. I ground it back and still use it as a general purpose cutting tool. It aint pretty and it's not even a great knife but it is quite handy for general cutting and carving.

Cheers, Steve

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Im on a very tight budget (the tightest), and i had to wait months before i could spare the cash for a Mora, im quite sure im not the only person in this predicament and thought it might be an idea for those in a similar position to get one of these and get out there rather than waiting for more funds.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I take it that at that price the blade is stainless steel? 420?
I use a lot of blackspur tools and find them value for money - but then you dont part with much money! Low quality and low price but great until you can afford a better bit of kit.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Good post!!. Not all are in a situation to shell out a lot for their kit, and if it gets you up and running then it can't be bad. You won't be scared to abuse it "in case it gets scratched" ,plus if you do damage it, you won't be lamenting the loss as much as if it was a woodlore "wonder sabre" at £600 or whatever they fetch on ebay now:rolleyes:

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
I was considering doing a series of posts along the lines of "Pound shop Bushcraft" or "Bushcraft on a budget" (ie stick to what i know), but im getting the feeling that i would be wasting my time.

Any thoughts.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I was considering doing a series of posts along the lines of "Pound shop Bushcraft" or "Bushcraft on a budget" (ie stick to what i know), but im getting the feeling that i would be wasting my time.

Any thoughts.

Go for it mate, not everyone has bundles of cash to spend on equipment that never gets used, do the same as me and ignore the bushcraft snobbery;) , i use whats good for me and loads of others on here do too, as long as it's functional and does the job you want it to do, that's all that matters, you dont have to spend hundreds on a knife when £10.00 Clipper will suffice.

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia

Any thoughts.

As a total newbie - I'd find those sorts of experiences really helpful and would read them with interest.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Yeh go for it mate alot of people will find it usefull, good on ya.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK

Any thoughts.
Yes go for it!! I am also on a very tight budget, most of my kit is birthday presents that were bought by the mrs on e-bay :)

R

Runs for cake

"Bushcraft on a budget" would be a post / thread well worth making. I'm an absolute newbie myself and I would prefer to spend my cash frugally, rather than splurging now only to find my interest wanes after a few months. Go for it.

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
I second what others have said.
I was having the same thought a couple of days ago. The one thing that all hobbies have in common is the amount of kit one collects over the years and the amount of money that can be spent.
Even if I do have the money to buy named products you can't beat the feeling of getting something as good for less.
It can take a long time and a lot of money to find the right boots, rucksack, stove etc. for you.
I must say that some of the stuff Aldi and Lidl sell is perfect for someone new to bushcraft. folding saws for less than £5, sleeping bags, rucksacks and even walking boots.
I have a huge tarp that I bought a couple of years ago from Aldi in Germany and it makes a fantastic group shelter.
I'm sure loads of people will have similar hints to add.
By the way, just bought some ''Craghopper Kiwi'' trousers and shirt from TK Max, half the price of Millets that was opposite.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE