Cheap Compact waterproof camera?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
I know i know, try google.

I have, and i keep getting overwhelmed :O_O:
Ive looked on google, but theres that many choices and diffrent types etc, im just wondering if anyone has reccommendations to narrow down the search.

I usually use my phone for pictures when out walking etc, though sometimes in bad weather i miss an animal or something because my phones tucked away in a drybag. I also cant use my phone when out kayaking incase i drop it.

So, im no photographer and i just need something waterproof and small/slim enough to fit in my pfd pocket.
Also wireless for easy transfer of pics between phone etc.
Im not liable to be wandering around filming everything either, so video isnt greatly important.

Been looking at something like this? Seems to be the cheapest of the google recommendations.

https://www.jessops.com/p/fujifilm/...MI39fd4-K-2AIVjrvtCh1n6wh_EAQYASABEgIFVfD_BwE

Just wondering if theres anything cheaper that would do the same?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Might be easier and cheaper to get a transparent, waterproof case such as the ones sold for handheld 2 way radios for boaters

waterproof-marine-pmr-water-resistant-floating-two-way-radio-walkie-talkie-boat-boatring-yacht-yachting-watersports-case-bag-cover-5.png

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I would give a firm recommendation for the Fuji. The missus has a Fuji XP80, which has wifi, very effective waterproofing and takes really very good pictures. So if the one you linked to is a development of that, it should be great.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Ive got something similar to that Santaman, but my touch screen doesnt work very well through it. Also rather keep the phone safely tucked away incase of dropping it, but mine doesnt have a leash,so that would help.

May just bite the bullet and get the fuji, seems to get decent reviews, though for my use thats not too big a concern.
Been tempted by some of the cheap action cameras for £20-£30 that can take stills also, but they look as though they need a plastic waterproof housing, so not as ideal for in the pocket.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Back in the days of 35mm film cameras Fuji certainly mad a very good disposable waterproof camera. We used to use those snorkeling to get good pix of the reef and fish. I would imagine their modern digital ones are just as good.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Had a fuji XP80 - it was ok, but much prefer the Panasonic FT range. Ultimately its down to what feels right for you, but the macro zoom and the "starry sky" (for long exposure on anything) swung it for me.
Get all my cameras from ebay - never had any probs

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Its hard to beat the Olympus TG series the TG5 is the latest and very good my mate uses TG4 when kayaking
The Fuji will be OK as would a Olympus TG 870 etc

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
It's probably not quite what you're looking for, but I use a GoPro Hero Session. It's the cheapeast GoPro in the range but is fully waterproof and can be used for stills and timelapses as well as video. The only thing that it lacks is a zoom.

I'm not much of a film maker but I use mine mainly for stills and timelapses when I'm out camping. I have used it to make short videos that I've posted on instagram and youtube. But I've learnt that film-making is much harder than it seems and a bit of a challenge when editing all of the segments together.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
In my kayaking days I just got cheap waterproof disposable cameras. Not cost effective in the long term perhaps but I didn't take many photographs needing waterproof camera (film days) so it wasn't really expensive. Would have taken a decade at that rate to cover the cost of the cheapest waterproof camera of the day (IIRC a £200 Canon or about the same price for a twin lens Minolta as in wide angle or a small longer lens but no zoom between).

Fuji or a colourful Nikon I think that seems to be targeted at kids (some places sell out bundled with a merchandised bag such as frozen or the fish one).

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Its hard to beat the Olympus TG series the TG5 is the latest and very good my mate uses TG4 when kayaking
The Fuji will be OK as would a Olympus TG 870 etc

I've been watching some vids on Youtube by a guy called Aquachigger who does a lot of metal detecting and stuff in rivers and he swears by the Olympus cameras for wet work. I think he uses the TG4 and the quality looks great even filming under water. I think it does good macro stuff as well.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I've been watching some vids on Youtube by a guy called Aquachigger who does a lot of metal detecting and stuff in rivers and he swears by the Olympus cameras for wet work. I think he uses the TG4 and the quality looks great even filming under water. I think it does good macro stuff as well.

This lady uses a TG5 for macro work and achieves stunning results for instance the springtails/collembola she shoot are hardly visible to the naked eye

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bugldy99/

Here is a review
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/compacts/olympus-tg-5

Anolder comparison review

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/round-ups/camera_round_ups/best-tough-cameras-travel-108419

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE