camera phones.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
like most of us who take impromptu pictures when out, i use my mobile phone camera a lot. since i take these pictures for my own memories, to show my kids etc, i like to make sure i get the best quality. over time i have progressed through balancing the phone on my rucksack, propping it up in the crook of a branch before finding a little tripod in the garage and jobbing a crude mount for it. i recently splashed out on a 50 in adjustable tripod and a bluetooth remote trigger. i have an app on my phone to edit pictures that i take now as well. it works well. does anyone do something similar? and now im thinking about buying a set of tiny lenses which i can attach to the back of my camera (macro, fish eye etc). does anyone have any experience of them?

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
now im thinking about buying a set of tiny lenses which i can attach to the back of my camera (macro, fish eye etc). does anyone have any experience of them?

Ive got a set, all of them worked well

they are magnetic, so they can fall off easily, also the magnetic ones wont work with new phones that have OIS as it will pull the camera out of focus

i prefer using my Git2 action cam now as i like the wide angle anyway and can keep it clipped to me. ive made adapters to connect my actioncam to microscope and monocular, which i couldnt do with phone because of the weight.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
I used a special plastic back cover with a bayonet coupling for a small tele lens, for a while. Decent pictures, but low light sensitivity, and som edge distortion. Granted this was all very low end from dealextreme.

For long shots in daylight, I've actually managed a few decent shots with pushing the lens up to the eye-piece of an ordinary binocular or scope. The small diametre of phone lenses and decent autofocus, makes this better than I thought. Trick is to be able to hold phone and scope in line and at the same time steady. Would become tiresome in long run, though, but a good lightweight option for backpacking if you don't want to carry lenses for your phone aswell as a pair of binoculars.

BTW: Rreally nice shot, brancho! Hard to believe it's made with a phone, almost.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I often think about using my phone more and doing some editing on the phone but never get around to it or I figure that it's not worth the hassle, I know that some use their phones fairly exclusively and get seem great results from them

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE