Cheap Bivi bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Talk about being a pessimist......making it easy for mountain rescue to drag yer corpse back down off the hill :lmao:

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Tankie have you actually tried this?, It actually looks like it could work, maybe not such a crazy idea, Unless it's an "only used once but in excellent condition" ...

Long as it's been disinfected not a bother imo!

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Breathability is going to be high on the spec

Seems it's a very airy bag, no previous users have complained about feeling claustrophobic.

Generously sized to accommodate a range of sleeping positions, (so you don't stiffen up during the night).

Where's me coat ?

quidditys_shore

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2014
Middlesbrough
Is it wrong that in actually considering it?! 😂
I'm new to bushcraft & looking for cheap gear. Suppose you could use the hoops to peg it out! I'd also hope there's a zip on the inside, just in case they made a mistake haha

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Well I have one here, and it looks ok to me, and no it has not had a previous occupant, brand new made in 1984

An instant hit with bushcrafting goths I imagine..... old bones recons the zip will let in water? I would have thought as the bag was originally meant to contain bodily fluids/smells etc. (edit:~ well daaaa that would the job of the mortuary bag) it might well be fit for purpose as bivvie I am liking the idea more & more & I am genuinely interested... isn't bushcraft partly about re-purposing anyway?.... I just bought a pup tent & am looking for ground water protection options so in this instance the zip wouldn't be an issue anyway.

I should like to see one being modeled as a bivvi, so tankie any chance of some pix? (bushcraft motto "if there are no pix it didn't happen")

edit:~ just read ebay info looked at the zip for me the only issue with zip I can see (letting water in. asside) might be as quidditys pointed out insider access?

Last edited:

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
Nestle is cheaper, and better Breathability.
107980.jpg

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
just read ebay info looked at the zip for me the only issue with zip I can see (letting water in. asside) might be as quidditys pointed out insider access?

Form follows function. Its basically a very large full zip holdall, which is designed to be fully waterproof to stop fluids from decomp, blood etc from making a mess everywhere. It tends to lie down flat so the body can be easily moved into it, and then zipped up. Firstly, the thing is designed to be waterproof, but since a cadaver dies not breath, has no need to be breathable, unlike the living. Next, the cadaver isn't trying to get out of the bag (although there is a really good bit in the original The Fog...), so the zip access is limited to access from the outside (is on top, so not perfect if it rains), and obviously there is no need for a hole for your head or to breath. There was that chap last year who was found in 110L TNF duffle, but that was not good, and its not something most people would want to try.

If you want to have a look at a modern bag, google 'disaster bag' - you wont find it on a bushcraft or hiking website....

Apart from the fact that its really ghoulish, that its completely unsuitable for a bivi bag, and you can get the real thing for about the same price without any extra hassle, what could go wrong? If I was a farmer having to get a dead sheep in the back of a landrover with the minimum of mess, or someone who'd just shot a small deer, etc - fine. Otherwise, no.

Seriously, its a terrible idea. If you want a bivvie, head over to Endicotts (or ring Kev for more advice) or get the Alpkit Hulka for £35. If you want a ground sheet, get a ground sheet. Go Outdoors will do you a 13 x 10 one for a tenner, and a 6 x 4 one even less. Repurposing is one thing, but why make life (or death) harder than it is:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE