Cheap billys for occasional use

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I wass wondering if there are any good billys are on offer anywhere. They would be for cooking for a group occasionally over a fire. I havd to admit that most of the time I'm out wildcamping in areas where fire is not acceptable and my cooking and camping style is generally classes as lightweight so its tiny gas stove and dehydrated food. I am thinking of going to places where wild camping and fires are not likely to be a problem. Weight for once is not going to be an issue but they are going to be carried in a certain distance so no cast iron pots please. They must be good for use with a fire. I guess any material will do that but it will need a bale so it can be suspended.

Not done this before but guess a wire hook "S-shaped" attached to a tripod or counterbalanced system. Preferably a tripod with suitable sticks (cut green wood, right?). I hope we make a fire no bigger than needed but I reckon we will all be novices with this cooking by fire so expect to see the flames from wherever you are in Britain!! :D

I must explain it will be in some time from now maybe July / August time. That means it is likely to be after the end of summer which ends sort of mid to end of June when the rains come. :( It will be at a location where it is highly unlikely to cause a fire like the many happening in northern England and other locations of late. In fact it is likely to be somewhere with a gravelly lake/loch beach. Being that its so dry now (and possibly only going to get worse) there will be plenty of gravel beach with the water being so low. We are all responsible people so care will be taken.

Anyway, what billy options are there. This will not be a regular thing so cheap but serviceable. I think I might have some larger billys in Al that a family member used years ago. I think they had bales on them but not 100% sure hence the request. If they have been sold off then I will need something anyway. I know people rate Zebra billys but if they are as good as some on here say then they will have the price to match, i.e. more than I can spend.

Ideas will be gratefully received as I know nothing about this typee of pots. In return I can offer plenty of advice on UL camp cookware especially titanium pots!!!

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
http://www.ronniesunshines.com/billy-tins-pots-pans-p-387.html
Should be right up your street. Dont own them so cant really comment on how they perform (they been on my wishlist for ages). I own some aluminium pots but without the handles and they cope OK.

I have these and they are the mutts nuts! As they all nest then you can take all of them tucked away inside the lage can or if you are going solo you can save space and weight by just taking the small one, they take a lot of abuse and tbh you can't really go wrong!

HTH

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Totumpole's link to RS won't open for me but I have a feeling they're the ally nesting set. Great value and will take plenty of abuse in a pack, I had the original Bulldog set since I was a kid but I regrettably sold them on here a few years ago.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I have these and they are the mutts nuts! As they all nest then you can take all of them tucked away inside the lage can or if you are going solo you can save space and weight by just taking the small one, they take a lot of abuse and tbh you can't really go wrong!

HTH

Can't go wrong, been using these 'Bulldog' billy cans for over 40 years. Also if group cooking look on eBay for large stock pots, they go from big to massive but the price won't kill you.

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Can't go wrong, been using these 'Bulldog' billy cans for over 40 years. Also if group cooking look on eBay for large stock pots, they go from big to massive but the price won't kill you.

Echoing Rik, if you are cooking for a group, Wilkinsons sell an enamel stock pot for £10. You'd have to jury-rig a bale but the pot is pretty light.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think my parents had a similar set that came with an old trailer tent they got when we were kids. Could actually be those bulldog billies. I think they sold them with the tent when we grew up and they started going on gite holidays in France.

Just wondered with Totum's link at RS, they mention diameter of pots but I kinda work on ml. Can't get my head around the bigger pots and capacity. The plan is to do proper cooking with rice/pasta with a sauce (current faves are curry and chilli). I'm just wondering how many people could be fed using those pots? The diameter measurement is a bit of a stupid measurement to give for capacity. By all means say the size but a volume is more usefull I think.

Might suggest the stockpot, thanks TFan.

I knew this was the forum for this question, thanks guys.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Really getting into this idea of proper camp cooking. Got a cheap tarp from Aldi or Lidl year ago (was going to use it to test tarp camping but got a proper basha before I could use it). Gonna set it up over the cooking area (well next to it I guess) and do all that sitting around a campfire watching food cook. Then an evening of banter and a bit of bushcraft TV. I've not seen bushcraft TV since the Scouts or even the Cubs!! Well apart from my honey that is.

Honey Stove I meant.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I think my parents had a similar set that came with an old trailer tent they got when we were kids. Could actually be those bulldog billies. I think they sold them with the tent when we grew up and they started going on gite holidays in France.

Just wondered with Totum's link at RS, they mention diameter of pots but I kinda work on ml. Can't get my head around the bigger pots and capacity. The plan is to do proper cooking with rice/pasta with a sauce (current faves are curry and chilli). I'm just wondering how many people could be fed using those pots? The diameter measurement is a bit of a stupid measurement to give for capacity. By all means say the size but a volume is more usefull I think.

Might suggest the stockpot, thanks TFan.

I knew this was the forum for this question, thanks guys.

In real money the pots are about 6,4 and 2 pint.

For bigger sets you can't beat this deal
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-PCE-BUCKING...arden_Kitchen_Cookware_GL&hash=item35ad9d97e0

Very easy to make hanging bales or better still, nip to Wilkinson's and buy one or two folding plate racks, £2 each and to all intent and purpose are folding fire grills. Using these makes controlling the fire easier, uses less wood and wastes less heat than hanging a pot.
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/chrome...L8cOVA/77wyg6nQfHH0ViiC/T7axBhk4 s63B0Xycdg==

Last edited:

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Cracking idea that, silly question though, would it be ok to use 'as is', or would you need to remove the plastic coating first?

Oooops, the ones I have and are still in the stores are all metal, to be honest I did not read all the ad, my fault. Get one in store.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE