cheap billy cans at lidel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bazil

Jul 14, 2006
under a fallen tree
hey folks...i just saw the latest lidel leaflet thingy and they have on offer an 'ice bucket' on thurs 28th of december its only £4.99 and looks exactly like a zebra billy can its even made out of 18/10 stainless and has a lid

just thought id pass this on in case anyone wants a cheap one

bazil

Jul 14, 2006
under a fallen tree
ok....my bad....just picked one up...theyre twin walled as insulation for ice....looks darned like a billy can though

anyone know how to modify a twin walled ice bucket into a billy can?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Jamie got one, they are on sale here in Germany aswell. If you cut the inner from the outer, you get two pots! The best way to do this is to file the outer corner at the top of the ice cooler, just the very corner, all the way round. Then, the inner part will pop out and you will have a lip all the way round. This was the top edge of the cooler.

Now, put the inner part onto a log, you want the log to be just smaller than the inside of the pot and you will put the pot on the end of the log. Get a plastic or brass faced hammer and gently hammer the protruding bit over to the outside so that you have a safe edge, drill two hole for the bail arm and add a bit of wire as a lightweight bail arm. You can do the same thing with the lid which is massive. Make sure you do the right bit or the lid will just fall inside the billy!

I'll give Jamie a ring and see if he will put some pics up of his, I'm sure he has done his already.

bazil

Jul 14, 2006
under a fallen tree
cool....i was soo worried that loads of folks would have bought them and it was a dud......i figure if you use as is it would expand the air in the cavity which could be dodgy

i have the idea to grind a small semi circle in the bottom and pop lots of copper coins in to transmit the heat(and so i can use the handle and lid)

thing is though......if a company can produce stainless steel containers with two walls for £4.99 how come zebra charge £18 ?

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
If they are twin-walled they might make a good hobo stove. Just drill holes through both walls. I figure that the air might get preheated in the cavity thus increasing efficiency.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
anthonyyy said:
If they are twin-walled they might make a good hobo stove. Just drill holes through both walls. I figure that the air might get preheated in the cavity thus increasing efficiency.

Have you got a spy in my brain? or maybe we're both getting obsessed with homemade woodstoves ;) as that's exactly what I was thinking, oh and whether to add a fan. Though as it's stainless steel it might be a bit hard to cut/drill.

Alternative stove use, depending on how much gap there's betwen the outer and inner bottoms, cut a fuel hole at bottom, drill some holes in the outer top and bottom and it'll make a sort of volcanoe stove or inverted Kelly Kettle

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Glen said:
Have you got a spy in my brain? or maybe we're both getting obsessed with homemade woodstoves ;) as that's exactly what I was thinking, oh and whether to add a fan. Though as it's stainless steel it might be a bit hard to cut/drill.

Alternative stove use, depending on how much gap there's betwen the outer and inner bottoms, cut a fuel hole at bottom, drill some holes in the outer top and bottom and it'll make a sort of volcanoe stove or inverted Kelly Kettle

If you know someone with a bench drill you might be able to get them to drill it for you, it needs a real slow speed to drill it, otherwise you over heat both the drill bit and the stainless.

LS

jamie6754

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 22, 2006
Bergen germany 29303
Heres the pics of the lidl billy can after i have separated the outer from the inner.

DSC00287.jpg

DSC00286.jpg

DSC00285.jpg

DSC00284.jpg

B

bushyboo

i seen that flyer for lidl aswell was thinking of getting one

jamie6754

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 22, 2006
Bergen germany 29303
Here is the outer part of the Lidl billy can finished, here are some pics of it. Will get the inner finished tomorrow along with the lid and post some pics when its done.

DSC00290.jpg

DSC00289.jpg

DSC00288.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nice one Jamie, I didn't think you would have finished it already! If you trim the hooks on the inside, they won't interfere with the lid. Make sure they are secure, but they don't need to be so long. Give me a shout when you start the other one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE