cheap aviator sunglasses, worth it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Crowe

Nomad
Jan 18, 2008
Noewich. Now living in Limosin France
I use this type of sunglasses. They are basically a copy of Ray Bann. check out RB's site or go to a RB stockist to learn about the colour tinting of the lenses. The copy RBs should be made of glass which should be "optically correct", and the correct tint for you.The shape or style is designed to block stray light. I have seen some bad copys and some very good ones . There are huge variations. SO, TRY BEFORE YOU BUY. Expect to pay about a fiver for a copy.
Hope this helps
Crowe

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
RayBan Aviator's are the business!

When I wanted to begin helicopter flying lessons, a mate gave me his pair of Aviator's, saying that they'd be more useful to me as they were designed not to interfere with the headset earpiece seals.

He was right!:cool:

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Sorry to sound contrary but quite the opposite is true. Glass is a very poor UV barrier. In fact, glass is laminated with a plastic interlayer to improve its UV protection. 25 years in the glass industry has taught me something. :)

Martin :)

I'm surprised, looks like my welding tutor was wrong.......or I'm misremembering something I was taught in 1989

Jul 14, 2010
US
I keep losing sunglasses.
Bought a pair of Daiwa polaroids that are similar to the aviator style in local tackle shop last month.

£29.99 but good for fishing and driving in the sun.Will do for summer hols too.

Polaroids are great around water,help you find you're knackered phone no probs'.:rolleyes:

So don't know about those you've mentioned but I would make sure polaroid lenses were in your purchase.

I want to purchase ray ban sunglasses. Does the sunglasses cost 29.99EU is good? Which store you find on?

I watch one Ray-Ban Aviator Arista Sunglasses online that cost 106US$. I have no experience with this store. Anyone can give me the trustful store for purchase?

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
No, no no! Oakley Flak jacket XLJ all day long... Got two pairs. Best optics by far. And I work in optics so really picky!

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I used to wear Ray Ban aviator style glasses. They were okay back in the eighties. I still have a pair of Ray Bans in fact. The frames on the aviators are a bit of a weak point, they bend out quite easily and because of the design they are a difficult to straighten out again. My wife's Ray Bans frames broke when one of the kids grabbed them off her face. I broke a pair of lenses when I dropped them on the floor. Apart from that the optics are good.

They are no longer made in the US by Bausch and Laumb, they are made in Italy by the Luxottica group. I don't think this will affect the quality but the price has sky rocketed. I bought a pair in Asda during the nineties when they were selling them for £30 a pair.

With regards to the cheap sunglasses at the beginning of the thread and UV protection. I believe that by law all sunglasses, even ones from the pound shop, must offer UV protection. However the minimum rating to be able to get a CE mark isn't as high as the protection offered by higher quality glasses. Also you do tend to get what you pay for and you will find that the optical quality and build quality of cheap glasses is low. If you regularly lose them then cheap might be the way to go but I prefer good quality. I'm looking through them all day and it annoys the hell out of me if they are poor quality and uncomfortable.

The problem with the aviator style of glasses is that you get a lot of stray light at the sides, this causes reflections on the back of the lenses which reduces the clarity of your vision significantly. Some manufacturers make glasses with broad temple arms to combat this problem. However with the newer "wraparound" style of glasses this problem is greatly reduced. Wraparound glasses can fit closer to your face (because they follow the curve of it) and the curved lenses don't allow much light to get in from behind. Well designed ones are also much more comfortable than the traditional style of frame especially on the nose bridge and behind the ears.

If you are looking for a good deal on quality glasses TK Maxx is well worth a look. All the lenses have been fingered in the store so you have to clean them but I've seen some top quality glasses at incredibly low prices in there (and some rubbish too).

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
If you are looking for a good deal on quality glasses TK Maxx is well worth a look. All the lenses have been fingered in the store so you have to clean them but I've seen some top quality glasses at incredibly low prices in there (and some rubbish too).

I got myself a pair of Carrera polaroids from TK Maxx last summer for £15. There were a few Police & Ray Bans in there too although they were a little more pricey at £25-£50.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE