cheap aviator sunglasses, worth it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
after my old pair of sunglasses broke I am now looking for a new pair before the summer.
now after watching a bit too much "top gun" I find myself wanting a pair of the "aviator style".
I found these on the site reccomended in this thread.
does anyone have any experience with these sunglasses, or simmilar models.
are they worth the money?
or should I go for some from annother source (marks and sparks seem to be doing some nice ones, and Heinnie Haynes seem to have some inexpensive sporty type wrap arounds)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I keep losing sunglasses.
Bought a pair of Daiwa polaroids that are similar to the aviator style in local tackle shop last month.

£29.99 but good for fishing and driving in the sun.Will do for summer hols too.

Polaroids are great around water,help you find you're knackered phone no probs'.:rolleyes:

So don't know about those you've mentioned but I would make sure polaroid lenses were in your purchase.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I keep losing sunglasses.
Bought a pair of Daiwa polaroids that are similar to the aviator style in local tackle shop last month.

£29.99 but good for fishing and driving in the sun.Will do for summer hols too.

Polaroids are great around water,help you find you're knackered phone no probs'.:rolleyes:

So don't know about those you've mentioned but I would make sure polaroid lenses were in your purchase.

I'm not too worried about water, these are more for general wear, as if I'm involved in water-based activities I'm likely to be wearing my pescritption glasses, with react-to light lenses, which negate the need for sunglasses. water tends to dis-agree with contacts.

my problem is not just loosing them, but also sitting on them and otherwise breaking them.
although so long as they hold out longer than the pair I once brought from primark (20 mins they lasted) its a considerable plus.

after my old pair of sunglasses broke I am now looking for a new pair before the summer.
now after watching a bit too much "top gun" I find myself wanting a pair of the "aviator style".
I found these on the site reccomended in this thread.
does anyone have any experience with these sunglasses, or simmilar models.
are they worth the money?
or should I go for some from annother source (marks and sparks seem to be doing some nice ones, and Heinnie Haynes seem to have some inexpensive sporty type wrap arounds)

Allegedly some very dodgy DJ's in the 70's and 80's convicted of even more dodgy offences wore sun glasses like those... so no wonder they are cheap!
You can buy a pair of wraps from ASDA that are bombproof without costing more than a pint or two and won't look half as dodgy as those disco shades pmsl.

:yikes:

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
Allegedly some very dodgy DJ's in the 70's and 80's convicted of even more dodgy offences wore sun glasses like those... so no wonder they are cheap!
You can buy a pair of wraps from ASDA that are bombproof without costing more than a pint or two and won't look half as dodgy as those disco shades pmsl.

:yikes:

aviators seem to be making a comeback at the moment (far as my very limited fasion sense can tell),
but a link to dodgy 70's and 80's DJs? (never mind thier offences, what about some of thier crimes against music? :p)
hmmmm, might have to have a think about that.
but maveric was cool. and so was goose...........
:confused: I dont know which way to jump, good, or not good?
thanks for the heads up though.

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
I had a pair of the Polaroid Aviators when they were fashionable back in the late 60s. I can still remember how cool I felt wearing them on my Bantam. Then they blew off my head and a bus went over them. They were so well made the lenses just popped out and I managed to rebend the frames into shape!

Gareth

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
I used to have a pair of RayBan Aviators until I saw this!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

georgemichael.jpg

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
hmmm. seems that actual info may be a bit thin on the ground. depending on what happens when I go to town tommorow, I may order the aviators, as there are a couple of other bits on that site I need/want to pick up anyway. I'll post a review.

and I'm not too worried about how I end up looking, I allready look fairly odd as it is, so an extra bit of oddness isn't going to hurt :D

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
If they're glass they'll stop UV, if they're not they might

Sorry to sound contrary but quite the opposite is true. Glass is a very poor UV barrier. In fact, glass is laminated with a plastic interlayer to improve its UV protection. 25 years in the glass industry has taught me something. :)

The CE mark is a european declaration of conformity to a required standard. It should mean that the glasses meet safety standards which would include UV blocking. Check this out:

http://www.wholesale-sunglasses.co.uk/2008/06/23/do-you-know-ce/

Martin :)

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
Sorry to sound contrary but quite the opposite is true. Glass is a very poor UV barrier. In fact, glass is laminated with a plastic interlayer to improve its UV protection. 25 years in the glass industry has taught me something. :)

The CE mark is a european declaration of conformity to a required standard. It should mean that the glasses meet safety standards which would include UV blocking. Check this out:

http://www.wholesale-sunglasses.co.uk/2008/06/23/do-you-know-ce/

Martin :)

that's good news. in that case I'm just awaiting news on a couple of other un-related products to make my decision.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Ray Bans are indeed good, not wearing the aviator style but an other pair served me very well on my trip to Congo some years ago (and still going strong :)).
Quite expensive though...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE