Cheap Autumnal Dart Practice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
You're out for an Autumn walk, when you're struck by the desire to throw sharp things about. You're on the verge of a field, but there's not enough wood for an atlatl: what can you do ?
One cut to chop a dock stalk diagonally at its base, a couple of flicks of the knife to trim all but the last couple of fronds at the top; and you're got a practice dart.
Hold it 2/3 up from the pointy tip, and fling it underarm as high as you can: at the other end of its parabola, it'll embed itself at least a couple of inches into the earth.
The kids got bored before I did; and no-one lost an eye.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
How long were your darts? Sounds fun. I wonder if you could turn on of the stems into an atlatl/ thrower.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
As long as the individual docks (at least, I think that they were docks: any autumn stalk would probably work as well). About a yard or a metre, depending on your age.
The range they'll achieve means that they're fairly easy to avoid if a war breaks out between the children. Not that it should be encouraged.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE