Chat room offline..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jakunen

Native
I guess appearances truly can be deceiving. He seemed quite a switched on, decent, normal kid, but ...:shock::sad:

Can only mirror what I've said before. This is THE best forum I've ever had the privelage to belong to, and echo what everyone has already said about the Mods and Admins here and on BB on the rare occasions I remember I have an account over there.:You_Rock_ :ekt:
Many thanx to all the admin-type people who have made both forums great places to be, and all the users that make this a great place to hang-out.:You_Rock_ :notworthy

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
It's very sad when things like this happen but they are inevitable as that is the nature of groups, be they on the internet or not. I'm saddened and disappointed by the behavior shown by Young Bushman (also known as bushwackerscott and Ravenlord) towards Martyn and equally saddened to notice that he was being encouraged by other members (who will remain nameless at this stage but they know who they are and we know who they are and they can rest assured that I and others will be keeping a very close eye on them in the future). It's a shame to have to say this when over 99% of the users here are fantastic but it's the only way that things will be kept they way they like it, rather than the way a small minority want it to go.

Abuses of the systems put in place here will not be tolerated and in future abusers of the system will find themselves shown the door much quicker. Abuse of any the services provided here (including, but not limited to the forum, chatroom, calendar, PMs) is easy to prove and this protects everyone involved.

The rest of you (the +99%), thanks for all your support and kind words. :You_Rock_

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I am flabbergasted to put it mildly with out putting it in my essex tounge :rolmao: , Scott Pm'ed me to tell me he was going to be banned and give me a sketchy reason but the evidence put forward here is unbelievable from a 14yr old kid :yikes: , just go's to show you that the internet is a freaky weird place and is he really a 14 yr old!!!! :?: :shock: no one shoul d have to put up with that crap no matter who you are im finding it hard to believe it really why :?:, no matter what happens and no matter what my thoughts are this behavior cannot be tolerated and my hat comes off to all involved who acted in a totally professional mannor whilst dealing with this, Tony and Martyn you have created two great places to be here lets cut the crap and have fun :You_Rock_ :wink:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Errr... when did this happen?

I have only been here since August but up until this month I was unaware of anyone being banned and now 2 people so close together?

I'm not calling into question the bans, the mods have shown more restraint than I would have but just what's happened to these folk to make them act the way they did within such a short time span. It's quite sickening because since joining, this has been THE webpage for me... I spend more time on here than on any other and the people I have spoken to have been some of the most generous and understanding people I have known.

Only today, I received some photos via e-mail from a member that could have been charged for, only because that member was nice enough to send them, same as some lanyard knots in the post... I have also been to a meet up and ate food provided by someone else with no selfish requirements of their own. This kind of behaviour only makes me want to give back.

I haven't really spent any time on BB but I popped in a few times and everyone was nice, friendly and easy to talk to.

Young bushman always seemed so normal.

I noticed raven thingy in the new member section earlier today, I had no idea it was young bushman again.

I'm sorry to ramble on but I’m just so put out by this. I hope it's limited to the people who have already been banned and I hope the mods are better than I am at coping with this kind of abuse because I would have just freaked and banned everyone who said anything negative regarding this incident.

I'm still rambling aren't I... I'll stop now.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Squidders said:
Errr... when did this happen?

I have only been here since August but up until this month I was unaware of anyone being banned and now 2 people so close together?

I'm not calling into question the bans, the mods have shown more restraint than I would have but just what's happened to these folk to make them act the way they did within such a short time span. It's quite sickening because since joining, this has been THE webpage for me... I spend more time on here than on any other and the people I have spoken to have been some of the most generous and understanding people I have known.

Only today, I received some photos via e-mail from a member that could have been charged for, only because that member was nice enough to send them, same as some lanyard knots in the post... I have also been to a meet up and ate food provided by someone else with no selfish requirements of their own. This kind of behaviour only makes me want to give back.

I haven't really spent any time on BB but I popped in a few times and everyone was nice, friendly and easy to talk to.

Young bushman always seemed so normal.

I noticed raven thingy in the new member section earlier today, I had no idea it was young bushman again.

I'm sorry to ramble on but I’m just so put out by this. I hope it's limited to the people who have already been banned and I hope the mods are better than I am at coping with this kind of abuse because I would have just freaked and banned everyone who said anything negative regarding this incident.

I'm still rambling aren't I... I'll stop now.
It's been a hard few weeks. I'm very sorry that young Scott is gone. I was quite fond of him actually. It's been a tough decision to ban him that I can tell you wasn't reached easily. We gave him every chance but he hasn't helped himself either with some of the things that he's done and said since.

Yes it is upsetting. Even more so as it's been my unfortunate job to moderate the chatroom. (So to some of the people that have said things they shouldn't have, yes I do know what you think of me and the rest of the moderators - and yes I will be watching what you do very carefully from now on.) This forum however will get back to normal and move on. It will forget this unpleasantness because life goes on. There's a fantastic bunch of people on here. And it's a fantastic resource that supports us all in the pursuit we share - bushcraft. And things will be nicer all round.

I for one am looking forward to spending less of my time sorting out things for the people of this community and doing some bushcraft instead! Far too much of my kit is bright and shiny when it shouldn't be - simply because I've spent too much of my time doing stuff for you. It's just not on. As JP said cut the crap and have fun! I will! :biggthump

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Hi.

i was unaware of these goings on and its something i could of done with not learning about.

I have made more friends and met more interesting people through BCUK and BBlades than i can remember. It is a hard task being a Mod, we all myself included forget how much effort goes into keeping a place like this up and running.

All the mods and admin team you have my gratitude and respect. :You_Rock_

I do feel that those that encouraged Scott should suffer the same fate. Adults carry a duty of care whether it be on line or in the woods and should set a positive role model.

Lets hope that the forum learns from others mistakes and grows stronger for it.

Once again Martyn and Tony et al thanks for the hard work and long may we reap the benefits of your endeavors on our behalf. :Crazy_071

jakunen

Native
Kath,
In many ways I can see that being a Mod must be a very trying job, watching people talking about all the stuff you wish you were actually doing instead of sitting there having to keep an eye on what's going on. Guess it must make you an uber-parent 24/7. LOL

At the risk of repeating myself, (it comes with having been in IT and dealing wth IT managers :wink: ), you folks in Mod Land do a fantastic job :ekt: and it must try your patience having to just watch things and not say what you really want to say as you have to be unbiased and impartial.

Anyway, keep up the good work, and LONG LIVE BCUK!

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Extremely trying, yes. Especially when reading things people have written about me! :nono:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
And on that note I think we should move on from this and forget about it.

It is a shame and it was a hard decision as I very much liked the people that we had to ban. It was something that needed to be done though, the site has rules and they are there purely to keep the site a nice place to be, I instigated them so that people would feel confident that they could relax and that while on here they would be protected from slander and attacks of any kind. This is a place to talk about bushcraft, it’s cost a lot of money and a lot of personal sacrifices, not just from those you see on here..Have a word with my wife and kids and the next meet if you want some perspective on it. Anyone that comes here needs to use the rules and regs as a guideline and not step over the boundaries they represent; this is the commitment that people make when they join bcuk. The chatroom is fresh in peoples minds right now as it’s the centre of an issue, but the rules and regs cover all the site, every bit of it. Be nice, show respect to all people, no matter what you opinion is.

I’d also like people to keep things bushcraft orientated in the threads, bcuk has lost some very valuable members because they get tired of sifting through pointless comments and all the non bushcraft posts, I’m not saying that you can’t have a laugh and a joke now and then but sometimes it’s pages of meaningless posting and it’s not nice for everyone else, it all goes back to that respect thing. Let’s keep the forum focused on what it was designed for. That’s probably why grief happens, we moderate to bring the site back into line with it’s bushcraft focus. Some people think that because they come on here a lot they should be allowed to talk about whatever they like, when they like in whatever thread they like, this is not the case, this is a bushcraft forum for talking bushcraft, let’s talk bushcraft, then get out and do bushcraft and when we’ve done that, come back and talk about it again until our next sojourn…..

And last but not least, if you’ve got a gripe don’t let it fester, I know that because this is a virtual world things can come across very blunt and sometimes things are misinterpreted, give others the benefit of the doubt, if you’ve got an issue sort it quickly. The issue with the chatroom was something that had built up and encouraged by others, it should have been something that was resolved long ago. I make no favourites on here, even though sometimes it may come across like that, I also offer no excuse for what we do, which is our best and I’m grateful to everyone that supports us and supports bcuk, you bushcrafters are a wonderful people.

So, keep it clean, keep it focused, make friends, not enemies and have a great time on the site. :You_Rock_

PS
Chatroom will be back up later :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE