Chat room offline..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
The chat room says its been taken offline by the admin.. is this something to do with the outages or will it be put back online soon?

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
You guessed it! Sorry!! You were right about it being the chat software that was causing the problem - or contributing to it at least.

You'll be glad to know we're working on a replacement. Shouldn't be too long now - if you can stand the suspense! :-D

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Kath said:
You guessed it! Sorry!! You were right about it being the chat software that was causing the problem - or contributing to it at least.

You'll be glad to know we're working on a replacement. Shouldn't be too long now - if you can stand the suspense! :-D

quick quick... im getting withdrawal symptoms! :aargh4: :smiley-fa :sulkoff: :rolmao:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
(i don't see any point in starting a new thread for this..) but.. that chat room has obviously been taken offline due to it being abused by some members.. i just wanted to ask is it offline indefinitely or is it just a temporary thing...?

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
hootchi said:
That really is a shame...

As Tony said it was on a condition of trust and it is very dissapointing that some people abused that. :cry:

Disappointing only begins to describe it when you read the logs.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Young Bushman has been banned from here and BritishBlades as a result of an attempted smear campaign on BB, that was organised and coordinated through the BB & BcUK chatrooms.

For some reason that escapes me, Young Bushman decided to launch an unprovoked attack on myself. He used an alias account on BB (ScottC87) to post some rather nasty comments...
I'm sure we all have private opinions on the people that run forums but i think that the most common one in this case is that Martyn is a know it all **** who would die in a real survival siuation as he would not want to get his kit dirty. So come on, lets raise a toast to the most arrogant, up himself powercrazy man in history. To Fartyn!
Oh look and the silly **** is online and yet he can't see that nobody likes him! or even moderate his forum properly!
I expect i'm about to get banned but make sure you don't let the idiot rant on about how great he is or his little pictures he just "knocked up" that he probably spent hours doing in some state of the art photo editor.

Let my spirit live onnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FREEDOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMM
I ran a search on his IP on BB and came up empty, but when I did the same on BcUK, every IP for ScottC87 was identical to IP's used by Young Bushman. I later discovered he had confessed/boasted to his authorship of this in the BcUK chatroom.

I don’t know what makes a 14 year old post things like this, but it struck me that it was unlikely to be entirely of his own mind. It was also apparent that the BcUk chatroom was being used for something other than bushcraft and friendly chat. I discussed this with the mods and admins here, they agreed there was a problem and we decided to examine the chatroom history.

Now let me be clear about this (this goes for both BB and BcUK).

PM's = Private.
Forums = Public.
Chatroom = Public.

Now I'm labouring the point because it seems apparent, that this little nugget hasn't sunk in...

WHEN YOU MAKE A COMMENT IN THE CHATROOM, YOU ARE MAKING A PUBLIC STATEMENT THAT IS RECORDED AND STORED IN THE DATABASE FOREVER AND CAN BE RE-READ AT ANY TIME!

You are liable for what your write in a chatroom, just as much as on a forum, or even a newspaper for that matter. Courts can request of a website owner, full transcripts of chatroom logs to be presented in the event of a dispute, libel, slander, or defamation suit.

This public nature of the chatroom has been made abundantly clear on many occasions, as well as the fact the chatroom will be moderated. Yet I was stunned at what I read. The nasty and hateful messages being banded about, not just regarding myself, but also Tony, Kath, Adi and others. It was very clear that this was far more than just a mouthy juvenile. Browsing the chatroom history shows that he was really not much more than a foolish and gullible pawn. However, he was the one foolish enough to take this as far as he did and make defamatory comments in public. Just 14 or not, he consciously made deliberately poisonous comments, designed specifically to offend and hurt. If you're old enough to write it, you're old enough to be banned for it! However, and against the better judgment of many, he was given an opportunity to apologise - he declined.

The others involved were a little more shrewd and kept the nastiness in the chatroom. For that, they shall remain nameless, but they know who they are and they should be ashamed of themselves.

Here's a couple of comments from Young Bushman for illustration...
"have you stilll got that private message martyn sent you when you made a post in the fly agaric thread"

"well if you haven't got it can you write a description of what he sent it for and why we're starting a hate campaign on a different chat against Martyn!!"
" didn't like to say earlier because i thought you would all suspect me but i actually have an account caled ScottC87 thats my acccount"
IT WAS MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
The above is only a small snippet of Young Bushman's comments; I won’t quote other people or go back further, though I'm tempted. Let me make it clear, the disturbing and upsetting thing here isn't just the rants of some teenager "having fun", but also the comments from adults in the chatroom who should damn well know better.

This is not what our websites are about. Have we strayed so far off track that this is what we have been reduced to? The admins and moderators have put 100's, even 1000's of hours into our websites and this... simply stinks. We regularly work into the small hours, trying to build sites that are fun, enjoyable and informative, for nothing more than the love of it. The small cash returns, barely cover the electricity, let alone the numerous bills that need to be covered. We don’t ask for anything, ...but hate campaigns, poisonous hateful messages - not just about me, but others, Kath, Adi, Tony and the mods....

What gives? It'd be easy for me or Tony to just agree to everything and anything, but the forums would turn to chaos in days. Our communities need people prepared to shoulder the agro and stand in the way of the crap. This demands we need to be hard-nosed on occasions. We don’t expect thanks, but "hate campaigns"?

I don’t know about Adi, Kath and Tony, but this makes me sick to my stomach. I feel like I want to jack the lot in.

I'm sorry, but shameful is the only way to describe this....

Have you stopped to think how you make people feel when you write stuff like this? I have a thick skin, but it's not that thick, and I'm damned sure others feel it deeply. Is this what it's all about then? Is this the great philosophy, poisonous chatroom backstabbing? Fortunately for our two forums, the friendship that exists between me and Tony, is very real and goes far beyond websites. It'll be around long after this unpleasantness has faded into a nasty memory. But for now, if I were you, I'd be very, very nice to Tony, Kath and Adi. As for me, I think I'll take my leave for a while, I've a nasty taste in my mouth.
Martyn.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm really shocked and saddened to hear about this. Only being part of the BCUK family for a short time, I saw everyone as being friendly and helpful, and I think for the majority that this is correct.

But to think that somebody would join a site to disrupt and cause offence to others, it's just wrong.

I hope that everyone learns from this individuals mistake and doesn't repeat them. After all, <learning> is what this site is about.

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
:***: :f: :eek:T: :twak: :thumbs_do :aargh4: :argue: :Slam_anim :sword2: :BlueTeamE oh my god well i would like to apoligise on behalf of all the other teenagaers on this site, and how about you get a mod who's job is to check the chatroom? and will ban the person including their ip address after tw instances? and also is ip just their computer number? and what a flippin, no good brat!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm sorry that a group as openly friendly and helpful has been sullied by the actions of a little a cabal of eejits. "Sticks and stones may break my bones....but names may hurt me very much". Even in the playground kids know better.
Admin and Mods on this site do such a good job, please don't let a fundamental orifice screw it up for anyone else.
Toddy

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I'm very shocked by this! And saddened as well. You are of course absolutely right in getting rid of him, and let me assure you Martyn you don't come across anything like he was saying!
You must be mad! :rant: And also those of you who you said were also insulted... It's such a shame because this is a brilliant forum where people get on and respect each other, there is no place in it whatsoever for people like that... quite what he was trying to achieve is beyond me :?:
What can I say but thanks again for a great site, there are members here (me at least!) who are extremely grateful for what you lot do :You_Rock_

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
Moderating is a tough job, no pay and often no appeciation for the long hours and tough decisions made. This situation saddens me.

Kath, Tony, Adi and Martyn :You_Rock_ :Crazy_071

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Martyn, don't take it to heart, ramblings of in-experience, he will see eventualy that this is one of the best places to share. you are right though banning was really over due you have patience!!! :wave: keep the faith
just a thought

khimbar

Nomad
Jan 5, 2005
birmingham uk
I didn't know stuff like this happened here. I always felt this was a place safe from people like that. I know I've not been here long but I figured this virtual camp fire was a place of wisdom and maturity.

This place is the first site I check when I turn on my pc just in case something new has been discovered or someone has spotted a bargain. To all the moderators and forumites who make this place something special to read and post on...

Thank you for what you do. I appreciate it and I know there are many more who also do. I mean without you lot who's gonna answer all the questions I have about the wildcamping trip I plan to take to Scotland later this year...

:You_Rock_

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE