Charred Newspaper (used like Charcloth): How to make

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
When I was at the Wilderness Gathering I went to a session called 'Trash Can Bushcraft' (or something like that) where the instructer had us making sparks with cheap blue high carbon (AFAIK) bits of hacksaw blade & flint. Once we had done that we were given bits of what looked like charred compressed paper, which I remember him saying were made from old newspaper that had been papier mache'd & then charred in a tin, like you make char cloth in. It caught the sparks well, so I would like to have a go at making some but can't find a recipe.

Can any one tell me how to make it & what it's called? I have searched a bit but have drawn a blank. Thanks

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I've never heard of using newspaper like this -- I'm surprised it holds together.

Any chance of a misunderstanding here? Charcloth is sometimes called "charpaper" too, even though its actually charcloth. Perhaps someone in the group heard "charpaper" and assumed it was newspaper and then communicated that to everyone else?

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
The charcloth I make & have seen other peole use is fine dlicate black cloth. This stuff was like thick bits of compressed cardboard, similar in texture to the sheets of green underlay that you can use for putting under laminate floooring, if you know what I mean. It was about 1cm thick, black like charcloth and broke off into dense fiberous pieces. I have looked quite a bit for it but have seen nothing that looks like it. It was used by one of the instrutors so it may be something that only he does. I like the idea of it as it's light & takes a spark really well.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I have some of that stuff too,
and I also thought it was fibrous underlay - but the newspaper idea shouldn't be too hard to try out. Soak some newspaper untill it begins to break apart and mold it just like using the compressed paper "log" makers advocated by so many green shops. Then set it somewhere to dry - this can take weeks in my experience - then slice it and cook it just as you would any other charcloth.

Might try it myself if we get some decent rain in the autumn.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Ithink I will give it a go today; well doing the papier mache bit anyway. A few days on the radiator should hopefully dry it out enough, if I dont make it too thick. I will let you know how I get on.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I have started to make some this morning. I chopped up about 12 pages of my local Friday Ad, which is made of newspaper like material, into 1" by 5" strips & soaked them in a bucket for 2 hours. I then squeezed ou all the water, first by hand & then in a bit of old pillow case. I have diveded them up into smallish round 'patties' (for want of another word) about 3" round & 1/2" deep, which are now drying in the sun. I shall cook them up in my charcloth tin over the next few days, once they are dry through. They may change consistancy when they are cooked but they dont look like the compacted fiberous bits I used at the Gathering. I am begining to wonder if what I was using was actually charred green 'felt' underlay for laminate flooring, as the consistancy looks to be the same. I may see if I can blag some from a mate & char that to see what I get.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
I used to help a neighbor do this years ago, he used to burn it on his coal fire.
papier mache to almost pulp, put it in moulds the size you want, ( you could make these out of old bits of wood) then weight it down.

When it is dry you can burn it, but i suppose if you were going to char it then the usual method would still work..

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I used to help a neighbor do this years ago, he used to burn it on his coal fire. papier mache to almost pulp, put it in moulds the size you want, ( you could make these out of old bits of wood) then weight it down.

When it is dry you can burn it, but i suppose if you were going to char it then the usual method would still work..

Was that proper Papier Mache, as in adding a glue such as wallpaper paste? I have just used the wet pulpy stirps which are in a loose clump. It will be interesting to see if it works.

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
I used to help a neighbor do this years ago, he used to burn it on his coal fire.
papier mache to almost pulp, put it in moulds the size you want, ( you could make these out of old bits of wood) then weight it down.

i've been doing that, with an old beans tin and a clamp... not tried charing it yet

no in mine just water and left to seak for a couple of days

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Interesting. I may put half of what I did back in some water for a few days & then compress while it is drying to see if that makes a difference.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Cheers. I have put some of what I have done back to soak for a few days, then will dry it by hand, put in a mold, weght it & leave to dry.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I have heard that some of the keener green people make their own logs, which sounds like a lot of work for fuel but I suppose it depends on how it burns, If I leved in London & could get free papers off the tube everyday then I guess that it could make sense.

It's usefullness to us as something to take a spark will depend on how it chars. I have some that has been in the sun then on a radiator in the conservatory so will be dry in the morning by the looks of it. I will give it a go tommorow to see if it's any good as 'char paper' or whatever it's called.. The more I thibk abaout it the more I like the idea of charing that green cardboardy underlay for laminate floors; I have a feeling that may be the stuff but it depends if it's been fireproofed etc..

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
I remember my Dad making these paper mache bricks to get the coal fire going when I was little. He did it again recently for my sister when she got a wood burner. He said it was a lot of trouble to dry out the bricks but it was a good firelighter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE