Charcoal sticks for art.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'm looking for a supplier of charcoal sticks for art and craft as part of my work in schools.

I used to be able to source this at reasonable prices through the school supply network but the price seems to have gone up astronomically as I can only find posh packaged "Artists" charcoal now.

Does anyone know of a maker or supplier of charcoal that might be able to help me out?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used to make my own from willow twigs...I just cooked them in a syrup tin like I do my charcloth.
I am out of willow trimmings at the moment or I would have cooked you up some .....

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Gary, these folks supply artists charcoal but they're down in Dorset.

This site will help you find a local supplier of charcoal to you so you can see what they do.

Thanks to Chas Brookes and County 4x4 for the links :)

I'm looking for a supplier of charcoal sticks for art and craft as part of my work in schools.

I used to be able to source this at reasonable prices through the school supply network but the price seems to have gone up astronomically as I can only find posh packaged "Artists" charcoal now.

Does anyone know of a maker or supplier of charcoal that might be able to help me out?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Willow generally gives a finer charcoal and is thought of as the best for artwork - any charcoal will make a mark though....
I use willow for both art and glue making as it is very fine in texture.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Find a basketmaker and it's guaranteed she'll have trimmings. I've got loads and I can get you more no bother.
I make drawing charcoal with kids by just wrapping bits of willow in tinfoil and burying it under the burning sticks in a small fire. It's not artists perfect but it works very well indeed for children.

I've hung onto some of the Christmas biscuit tins for those long thin crispy hazelnut chocolate filled ones. I reckon they would be ideal for charcoal making.

If you can't get anything sorted out, let me know and I'll bundle up a batch in one of the tins and post it down.

cheers,
Mary

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Basically the kids are marking out a simple game board on a piece of white cloth.

I've been using willow because it's all I could get but I'm guessing other stuff would be fine.

Can it be done on a stove or does it need a fire?

I have done some on a camping gas stove before now.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks for that Mary

What do you reckon then John.

Pin hole in the top of a tin and cook until it stops smoking?

I put a 4" nail through the lid, tightly pack the wood (cut to length and about as thick as my little finger) in vertically stick the lid on and bung it in the fire/on top of the gas until it stops smoking/flare-ing, take it off the heat and replace the nail in the hole until it is cold.
You may find that it speeds things up if you put the tin on its side on the gas and rotate it occassionally so all sides and the base get a good amount of heat/glow red.
Have fun!

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
The new copy of Living Woods magazine has a good article on making artists charcoal.

http://www.britishwoodworking.com/livingwoods.html

On a recent course we filled a sweet tin up with willow and hazel and put it in the charcoal kiln and produced a good amount of charcoal.
4058627249_0eaedcbbd1.jpg

we also did a tin on the cooking fire with a good result but about 20% needed further charring.
4058618451_19e999b3c8.jpg

it is great fun to do and if you use some Elder pieces push the pith out and replace with charcoal they have got bushcraft pencils

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have been using a sweetie tin to make charcoal on my livingroom fire - just trimmings from my hedge - and have produced 5kg so far.
This will be used in my Wok -based forge for doing a bit of forging....just strike-a-light steels and pot hangers as yet bet in the future - knife blades!

If you are not worried about what type of charcoal you are going to use to make your gaming boards then I can send some of this up to you if you like.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
The wealth of knowledge on here astounds me sometimes. John you have given me a great idea for Scout camp thanks very much .:You_Rock_

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE