Charcloth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maverick

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
Newport, South Wales
That is one funny tale :rolmao:

I also made charcloth a couple of days ago for the first time and since then I have made 6 batches of the stuff !!! You never know when you'll need it lol. Luckily for me I played out in the garden it keeps her who must be obeyed happy :wink: To reduce the smoke just light the fumes that are being produced through the little hole, it works a treat. The smoke is almost non existant and when the flame goes out the cloth is done :wink: .

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Stew said:
I'm amazed you thought to make charcloth in your kitchen - I wouldn't dare!!!

I certainly won't be doing it again :nono:
Thanks for the tip about lighting the fumes, I'll try that.
For what it is worth, I tried it out today and it works a treat from now on it is a full time piece of kit.
I also chanced upon a good crop of cramp ball today too, so they are drying out on the radiator with SWMBO doing more impersonations of the Marge Simpson disgruntled and suspicious growl and the teenager keeps talking about a care home for me in the not too distant future :?:

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Lighting the fumes - I've seen it done with charcoal - a retort with a pipe beding back down under it, a small fire is lit to start the gas production, once that's ignited the whole thing is self sustaining.

Cramp balls - don't play with them indoors, they shed black smudgy stuff everywhere and they stink when burning. One of the finest tinders you'll ever use though.

I make my charcloth out of offcuts of hemp jeans - it makes a thick tough char that still lights easily. I used the shoe polish tin too - but I put it outside over my spirit burner.

Realgar

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Realgar said:
Cramp balls - don't play with them indoors, they shed black smudgy stuff everywhere and they stink when burning. One of the finest tinders you'll ever use though.

has anyone else ever burned them inside and got "light headed" as a result of breathing the fumes?

(sorry to go OT)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE