Char cloth tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Right as I suggested it in the suggestions area, and being unemployed at the mo, I have written a tutorial on making char cloth.

Everyone is free to download it and make constructive comments and Tony feel free to put it on the main site.

Now I've set the precident c'mon peeps have a go.

Simon

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/verminhunter/How To Make Char Cloth Tutorial.pdf

Now converted to pdf format due to popular demand!!!!

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Sounds great :)

Only 1 thing, It might be better if you export it as HTML and upload it?
I'm never keen on downloading word docs, may contain a macro virus etc.
(even though i'm pretty tooled up on the anti-virus front)

Cheers :)
Carlo

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Oi! That's my duvet cover!

:-D

Works for me. I use a Callard & Bowser sweet tin as the retort, worn out jeans for the charcloth and I do burn the vented gases. One of these days I might duct them round underneath the tin to help the burn... Silly & excessive, but entirely in character.

I've got to second the warning of not doing it indoors, too.

On using Word for this: I'm another one who is pretty anti- it. Could I humbly suggest perhaps using Fineprint or similar to convert it to pdf? That way, it'll be a lot more difficult for anyone to remove your name from the text too...

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Good one Simon.

If you want to do any more tutorials and you have the disc space you might want to try OpenOffice 1.1. Its a free Office Suite that is just as good as MS Office in my opinion and it can export to PDF perfectly and does not but any adverts in the footers. It is available for Windows, Linux(x86/PPC), Solaris (SPARC/x86) and MacOS X(X11) from www.openoffice.org. Its free so if you don't like it, it not cost you anything.

If you have not got the bandwidth and would like to try it pm me your address I will download it at work and post it to you.

On the Char cloth I have had some good results by rapping the cloth tightly in tin foil, any view as tin foil is a lot easier to shove in your pack than a tin and as the fumes burn it increases the heat.

Christopher

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
From my last batch I have 3 pots of the stuff like the pot in the last pic. I am looking for a smokers oil pouch to put some in before taking it to the field. Those pots are neither water or airtight but do for storage in a dry area.

Simon

Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
This is pretty much how I produced mine also and the resulting charcloth is so easy to use. Even my nine-year-old son can get a fire going with it in under a minute.

I used old jeans, and made an enormous amount of charcloth in one evening. However, the smoke given off is pretty acrid and I had a cracking headache the next day, so be warned: Nothing to do with the wine I was drinking while waiting for the cloth to cool!

I have large scale requirements for charcloth since it is provided with every fire piston sent out. As an added tip for those having a fire place or wood burning stove, you can pop your retort in the stove and the offensive smoke goes right up the chimney along with the woodsmoke. This also does a good good of burning off any tar accumulation on the outside of the can.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
This tutorial looks great, thanks. The problem I am having is getting a suitable retort I have coffee tins from work but they have plastic lids (not much good in a fire). Can anyone suggest anything else or what can I make a lid for the tins out of? :-?

Bill

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Go and buy yourself a can of coffee from tescos, their own brand is only about 6 quid for the 500g tin, if you want it now, empty contents into seperate containers or wait till you finish the coffee then go for it. Small scale here are some ideas for cans

Treacle
shoe polish
furniture polish

HTH
Simon

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Empty bean tin with silver foil sealing the lid works very well and is what i use.

I also use my stove as well as a fire both with equal auccess just remember to make a small smoke hole and to block it once the smoke stops.

Using this same method of preparation you can also make an excellent spark catching tinder from punk ( rotten spongy wood ). It only needs to be lightly toasted as opposed to charred to carbon. Once a spark has caught it is transferred to a larger piece of un-toasted punk and you're off and running....err, blowing rather. :)

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Dried smouldering punk is also a good way to carry an ember. Beech seems to be handy for this as the rotting wood can be teased off in slabs.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I can confirm after a slip that two hour old marks and sparks moleskin trousers with a ripped knee make a very good slow burning char cloth ;-) now all I need is for the bruising to go down!

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
ESpy said:
Oi!
Works for me. I use a Callard & Bowser sweet tin as the retort, worn out jeans for the charcloth and I do burn the vented gases. One of these days I might duct them round underneath the tin to help the burn... Silly & excessive, but entirely in character.

I've done this before with results that we didn't expect. I got what I can only call a positive feedback! I bolted a small copper pipe to the tin lid and the gases were vented from the lid down the side of the tin so they fed straight into the fire. The cloth then got hotter and started releasing more gas. This then made the fire burn hotter, making an even greater amount of gas be vented out. Eventually the lid popped off and had to quickly rescue the whole lot rom burning!

Stew.

Well it was a learning experience!
:lol:

ESpy said:
This tutorial looks great, thanks. The problem I am having is getting a suitable retort I have coffee tins from work but they have plastic lids (not much good in a fire). Can anyone suggest anything else or what can I make a lid for the tins out of?

When I didn't have a big tin around I've just got 2 old tin cans and split one about an inch down one side. I put the cloth in then just pushed the tins together. The ridges on the side help keep it ogether and there's enough space to let gas escape.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Lovely thread! The idea of "packing" the cloth is a revelation.

For retort cans, there are "safety" can openers that cut the bead of the can in half from the side (instead of cutting out the lid inside the bead), leaving the top as a lid that fits pretty well indeed. (Also good for keeping canned food [pet or otherwise] fresher and leaves NO sharp edges.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE