char cloth in oven.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Are you single, do you live alone? Do you want to be either / both?

The smell of the process is both unique and pervasive. I'd (heavily) suggest doing it outside ;) .

grilled bear

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Ok cheers for the heads up, saved me there. Was on a course a while back and instructor said that was how he made it. So one of two things happening here. Either that is what he does and wife has given up long ago and accepted all the experiments or he is having a good laugh thinking about me doing it in the house.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Ok cheers for the heads up, saved me there. Was on a course a while back and instructor said that was how he made it. So one of two things happening here. Either that is what he does and wife has given up long ago and accepted all the experiments or he is having a good laugh thinking about me doing it in the house.

It'll depend on your oven. An aga (or type) would probably be fine. But I know that as I can smell food cooking (or, if I get it wrong, carbonising) in my oven then I'll smell charcloth cooking too ~ and the _char_ in _char_cloth sort of gives the intent of the game away :D .

Why not drop a line to the school / instructor to ask for guidance? There's many a way to de-fur a feline and he might have a technique for ovens that we can all benefit from ;) .

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
My suggestion would be to do it in the garden using a hobbo stove made from an industrial sized food tin that most restaurants throw away burning small twigs or cut branches, I then use a much smaller food tin with a flat lid for the char cloth/ char carboard/ or char cotton wool. You will have to cook it for about half hour or so until its ready which you can get a feel for by the smoke then be really really patient letting it cool down for maybe up to an hour or so. Opening it early just lets oxygen in and it ignites spoiling it all.

The process stinks and you'll have to wash all your clothes afterwards, not a process Id do in the house

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i have used the oven to make char cloth before... i found that a tin was no good because it was to thick for this, but tinfoil worked a treat, you need 2 or 3 layers to make it work though....;)

lay your cloth in the tin foil, making sure the foil is big enough to enclose it, and closes up fully around the cloth, 2 times layers, only use 1 or 2 layers of cloth, and lay them flat and keep them that way....

seal up the parcel totally, then pierce a hole in the middle of the tip foil (dont go all the way through though), lay the parcel on the oven shelf about 3/4 of the way up, the oven should be on full power setting......

keep an eye on the parcel if it smokes to much move it down a shelf, if not enough move it up...

your looking for a very slight stream of smoke, not too much, this will take some time to cook depending on your oven cloth type etc etc etc....it will take some hours though, id say adleast 2, maybe more, thats why you lay it flat and thin....

the kitchen will smell of smoke but should not get smoked out if your careful, this is of course not the best way to do it, it takes lots of time and allot more energy too...

the best way is with a gas stove and a sealed tin in the garden, bbq or fire in the woods....;)

hope this helps some who have no garden or place near them...

take your time and all should be good though.....:):):):):):):)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE