Chaga

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:eek: :eek:

Thank you, but I'm not the only one who offers as necessary, and I think Monikieman's view is sound; we think of it as passing along some of the good wishes that have been sent to us :D Karma kind of sums it up nicely.

'No great abundance' kind of fits with what is generally described. If a tree has it though and survives to feed the fungus long enough, then it can be a big lump. I've been told that the outer crusty black stuff is the best for the tea, but the commercially sold fungus seems to be a mix.

Good amadou is truly excellent for spark catching though :D and there are plently of fomes around….just that it needs work to prepare it.
I quite like making the felty/leathery amadou, and it can be made from many of the bracket fungus.

M

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Yep, it's the black crusty outer that makes the best tea. The black outer is jam packed with all the much touted anti-oxidants and various other beneficial compounds. Not hard to remove-in fact you can often just brush the black scaly outer off, leaving plenty of Chaga left on the tree.

You still get the taste with the honey coloured inner but doesn't have the dark colour or longevity ( a teaspoon of ground Chaga will make 10l of strong tea)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If we brush the black crust off, will it re-grow ? because if it does, until the tree finally keels over, that could be a lot of the best of stuff to be gathered :)

M

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
If we brush the black crust off, will it re-grow ? because if it does, until the tree finally keels over, that could be a lot of the best of stuff to be gathered :)

M

Definitely regrows, I've picked some off regrowths. You could see the saw marks on a couple. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE