Chaga full circle. Fire using WCF knife and Core 4 stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
So what exactly do I use this chaga stuff for? The chaga used for this outing was collected during an earlier chaga hunt as posted here:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130744&highlight=

Much has changed in a few months. Bugs have replaced snow drifts but the spice of the woods has lost none of it's magic. My photo camera died early so was forced to use the action camera. It takes ok pics but suffers in low light. If I plan on creating sparks from a carbon steel knife a suitable rock would be required. Streams are a good source of rocks as they're exposed by erosion. On a side note the same type of rocks which can toss sparks from carbon steel will do the same from a ferro rod.

A tinder bundle would be needed to blow a coal into flames. In this case I will use fluffed cedar bark found just off the trail. The same cedar bark which can be used to blow a coal from tinder fungus or friction fire into flames will also catch a spark from a ferro rod or a flame from a Bic. IMHO all of these skills are interconnected.

Once the tinder bundle ignites I would like something to expand the flames to catch larger kindling. This isn't totally necessary but if conditions are problematic it can make a BIG difference. I will use White birch bark as it was very near. Less effort the better. Dang this action cam takes some crazy pictures.

All my stuff ready to GO! Also found dry grass and punkwood.

Within maybe two strikes I got a coal which was blown into flames igniting my Core 4 stove. I was really surprised at how well the chaga preformed. It didn't seem like prime stuff but success is the best indicator as to what's good.

Here is a biting insect infested video of the process for those interested.

[video=youtube;XhNhWN5tt_c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhNhWN5tt_c[/video]

Thanks for looking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE