Certified!

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
ha! good work feller!

Its like driving, you pass your test then you really learn:D

Have fun!

(Try and get a day on an NFAS shoot, doubt you'll look back!)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Congrats. I have an old glass bow that may be of use. It is pretty ancient but seems serviceable. Think its around 45lbs ish if i remember. Could trade or sumthin, dont think its worth a lot.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Well done...are you going to be "leading" a group or was this for self development?

Just out of interest, which way were you shown to nock an arrow; "table top position" or "bow to toe" or something else?

Simon

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Well done...are you going to be "leading" a group or was this for self development?

Just out of interest, which way were you shown to nock an arrow; "table top position" or "bow to toe" or something else?

Simon

Simply because I need the certificate to be able to shoot at a club without having to do that clubs "basic training" again - the GNAS certificate enables me to go and join up anywhere without people assumign I'm a numpty who's going to end up putting an arrow in the nearest official.

As for nocking - there wasn't a term as such - arrow placed on the rest then drawn back onto the string - bow pointing slightly forward and slightly down.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Congrats. I have an old glass bow that may be of use. It is pretty ancient but seems serviceable. Think its around 45lbs ish if i remember. Could trade or sumthin, dont think its worth a lot.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to wait for a good longbow - I saw a brilliant bickerstaff one go on ebay yesterday for £185 but I want a lower poundage - about 40lbs to begin with

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
There's a club near Otley that I want to give a go... but I need all the equipment first :( going to have to wait until the new year.
That there is! I am target captain and there is another on here involved too(V. Challenging course though, stock up on arrows and give us a shout!)

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Longbow. Can't be doing with sights etc. May as well get a crossbow with a laser sight and a scope if you're going down that route :D

Not sure about that! I still shoot a little in the unlimited class which is a compound, sighted and use a release aid and i enjoy it........ quite handy with it too but it is a fairly high pressure class with the score being so high and the difference between your competition being often very small but I rarely shoot it these days (being drawn towards "traditional" forms) and when I shoot it in opens I become very competitive and feel less enjoyment.

In field archery we have a crossbow class too, can't see the appeal myself!

Barebow and hunting tackle for me at the moment, this makes me very happy, relaxed and its a great journey that I believe will be a long and happy one!

"Just out of interest, which way were you shown to nock an arrow; "table top position" or "bow to toe" or something else?"

????

I have never heard such terminology, i have no idea what you mean!

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
Here's my recommendation: Have a read of 'The Traditional Bowyer's Bible' volumes 1 & 4 (get them from your library, if they haven't shut it yet); nip over to PaleoPlanet and look in the primitive archery forum; come along to a PAAS meeting/event and we'll talk 'till the cows come home about bow making (www.thepaas.org); grab some wood (Ash is good) and have a go at making your own European flatbow. There's also some cracking courses out there - look up Dave Budd or Forest Knights as just two examples.

Oh yeah - shoot field rather than target. 1000% more fun (you're actually allowed to have a laugh with your fellow archers as you shoot the course (providing you don't shoot with those using compound bows, who always seem to take things too seriously ;-) ).

Peter

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
thanks for the tips! The crowd at Selby are a nice bunch, including a fair few longbow users and at least one ex british longbow champ. We also have a permanent indoor and outdoor range. Having said that I definitely do want to give field archery a try once I've honed my technique a little.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
thanks for the tips! The crowd at Selby are a nice bunch, including a fair few longbow users and at least one ex british longbow champ. We also have a permanent indoor and outdoor range. Having said that I definitely do want to give field archery a try once I've honed my technique a little.

I have to say as my experience and proficiency grows shooting bare bow & instinctively that honing a technique and shooting loads of arrows at targets does more harm than good and myself and my NFAS club mates all agree that it gives you lazy mindedness.

I often have my course to myself and still discipline myself to one arrow-one peg then every shot has to be thought about. I have read Byron Fergusons "Become the Arrow" and subscribe to his theory (although I did shoot sighted on the targets 90% of the time)
I think I am getting the "split vision" aiming but it is pretty much sub-concious now and I do not think that crosses over from the target where the longbow archers tend to use point of aim or bands.
Mr Fergusons book is fascinating and easy to digest and I would advise you to have a look at it.
If you hone a technique for the targets you will likely change it anyway for instinctive archery.

I have found Field is more fun, laid back and generally a better place to ply your trade. I have been to many opens and shot with all kinds of folk and have not many anyone I did not like and get on with. The same cannot be said for time on the targets! miserable back-stabbing, petty small mindedness, one upmanship and stuck in the mud prima donnas was mainly what I encountered! There was some decent folk and I met some great friends but I had enough and when I go on the field shoots I am not alone! But I expect that any club where you encounter numbers of people competing for a space (like a shooting line) would be the same. No place for an out spoken free-spirit!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE