Central Zipped Sleeping Bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
Wondering if anyone can help..

I'm looking for a replacement bag that has a central zipper as I use a hammock and have had enough of my current one (Snugpak Sleeper Extreme). After some looking I have really only found a couple, one being the DD Jura 2 (currently out of stock) and the 3 season Osprey from Ray Mears/Woodlore.

Can anyone recommend any other that are preferably no more than around the £100 mark? I am tempted by the Osprey but it's £185 and I've heard mixed reviews.

Must have similar specs as my current bag i.e. comfort between -5/7 and preferably lighter than 2.1kg.

Maybe they're aren't anymore out there with those requirements but hopefully someone can help :)

Thanks.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have one of RMs bags. It is warm, but unreasonably bulky and the lining fabric can not survive my feet. Never again.

I have an old Carinthias bag -- survival one from the 90s -- and is well designed but also bulky. No idea about their current offerings.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Carinthia Defence 4 ticks all your box's, comes in 2 sizes so be mindfull if your going to get one, they are a great bit of kit.

yes - this is exactly what you want. Crop up on ebay under £100 (and new) reasonably often. They have a face 'hole' rather than a traditional hood - that takes a little getting used to, but overall, a great, very warm bag.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Love my Defence 4 - fantastic bag, and whilst you might get it new for £100ish on eBay ( I did ) you might also not, both UKMCPro and Heinnies have them for around £130 at present

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
True indeed. They're about £35 on eBay at the moment so may get one. I can see me sweating my nuts off in it to be fair tho haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
The only type of sleeping bag I like recommend the Ray mears ones or another snugpak or an Army issue (bulky but worth a good nights sleep)

My overall favourite is the ones MountainM mention below (3rd post)

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have a look at quilt options (either bought or a DIY job) before you splash that kind of money on a new bag, having all that insulation between you and the hammock is really a waste. You could get an nice underquilt to see you through the colder months and use your existing bag on top of you.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Have a look at quilt options (either bought or a DIY job) before you splash that kind of money on a new bag, having all that insulation between you and the hammock is really a waste. You could get an nice underquilt to see you through the colder months and use your existing bag on top of you.

i have been trying my under quilt as a top quilt. Got it all cinched tight at one end for my feet and wrapped it around me and find it works really well. May have to get a proper top quilt.

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
Carinthia Defence 4 ticks all your box's, comes in 2 sizes so be mindfull if your going to get one, they are a great bit of kit.​

It's a nice bag and I had dismissed it due to price although HH have it for £130 so I'm considering it.

First ones not warm enough and the second is a little over what I want to pay. I've seen a few for around the £180 mark so if I had the extra cash I'd pay a little more. That and the Defence 4 is about the same weight but has a much higher comfort rating.

• Yesterday, 20:35
    Shewie

True although I would effectively be carrying another bag and with my load out I just wouldn't have the room. I've never been cold with my current bag it's just the weight/size and side zip that are becoming annoying. Saying that the Travel Hammock I use isn't breathable and I've had problems with condensation so I was thinking of replacing that as well!

Both of those look good but just a little more than I want to pay.

Artic issue bags are indeed very warm but I can't justify the weight and space they take up. Although most overnighters I go on don't require much more than a mile or twos walk I like to have one setup that's as adaptable for any season as well as being light enough to hike 20+ km in a day.

Thanks for the replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE