Cegga axe to swap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Or buy a Cegga mini which is better still - ask Eric :)

This one is about a 500g head on a 40cm helve offering a 650g all in weight - sharp and controllable but deigned as a "pack axe" with a slimmer sharper profile than the equivalent GB or Wetterlings.

I think its a good all around "portable" axe - although not designed for carving, it would do a much better job than, say, a Small Forest.

Red

I've done spoons with the Cegga mini and my trusty old GB carving axe, and to be frank, the GB carver is way better for carving and shaping. The Cegga mini is brilliant for skinning and jointing deer though.

Eric

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Jon, Red, Eric,
Interesting thoughts about what makes a good carving axe. I have only used the gransfors carving axe and a bunch of old English ones I have handled and shaped myself, gilpins and the likes. I do like the look of the Cegga and glad its gone to a good home...must be a good blade if Stuart wants it. The gransfors weigh about 1kg all in so this cegga is a little lighter and with that fine grind I thought it looked very interesting to try so interesting that Dougster prefers it to the carving axe. Whilst I find 1kg perfect for prolonged use i think some folk on courses find it a bit heavy, I have some small gilpins but I suspect the cegga would be the buisness....had in mind as christmas pressie for doctor spoon too but have sorted something else now. Eric did you get one of this size cegga or do you just have the mini?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE