Caterpillars on the move

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
These things aren't funny: they are a real menace. In our commune in the Pyrenees-Oriental in France, they have killed many trees and the commune ,i.e us, has to pay out money to eradicate them. They killed two beautiful old pine trees in our garden in a season. If you see them, report them to the relevant authority asap.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Bad news for animals too, Can cause gangrene should an animal put one in it's mouth. More than one dog has had to have a part or all of it's tongue surgically removed.;;;;; I once picked some up & had itchy skin rashes for a week afterwards.

They decend from their tough silky nest high in the trees (usually pine) in the spring & form 'follow my leader ' lines like that looking for some soft soil to pupate in.

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Bad news for animals too, Can cause gangrene should an animal put one in it's mouth. More than one dog has had to have a part or all of it's tongue surgically removed.;;;;; I once picked some up & had itchy skin rashes for a week afterwards.

They decend from their tough silky nest high in the trees (usually pine) in the spring & form 'follow my leader ' lines like that looking for some soft soil to pupate in.

Yes. A neighbour's dog died after getting some in its mouth while it was trying to pick up a ball in the garden. They really are bad news.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Wow, I had no idea what they were, or that they are such nasty little creatures. I just found it interesting that they travel in such a fashion, something completely new to me.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
I, too, was fascinated when I first encountered these things for the first time at our place in France. We had two biologist friends staying at the time and none of us realised at the time what they were, neither did we connect them with the death of an old pine tree from which they had descended. It was only later when the local Mairie reported on efforts to eradicate them that we realised what they were. The friends who lost their dog had no idea why it was so ill until they took it to the vet. The poor thing had encountered them while trying to retrieve its ball from under some shrubbery and had managed to get some into its mouth without them knowing. I'm glad we found out about them before the grandchildren came across them. Our grandson is already fascinated by the natural world and would have picked them up to examine them under his magnifying glass.

I reckon there is a moral here but I'm still trying to work it out.

Nov 22, 2012
Portugal
Sadly, they are quite common where i live. :(
We call them Summer processionary (they came down from the trees in the summer time) or Pine processionary (because of their nesting preference for pine trees).

The nests look like this:

600px-Nest_of_Pine_Processionary_Moth_caterpillars_%28detail%29.JPG

And the adult stage:

800px-Traumatocampa_pityocampa01.jpg

They are nasty little creatures that can cause you some serious skin allergies! Itches for a few days! :eek:

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hmmm ... as I thought ... Oak Processionary (Thaumetopoea processionea) “In the southern countries of Europe the populations are controlled by natural predators, but these predators do not exist in northern Europe. Their range is expanding northward, possibly or partly as a result of global warming. The moth now has an established population in the UK. The eggs arrived on oak imported to the Richmond area of London in 2006; the range of the species in the UK has been steadily expanding despite efforts to eradicate it.” It seems the problem comes home to roost with us …

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE