Cast Iron Frypan.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
This excellent stuff to use buddy, give it a really good scrub with hot water ,no liquids or detergent,dry then rub some of this into it put in oven for a low heat ,it should come out with a sort of glazed look.
.ebay.co.uk/itm/CRISCO-SHORTENING-ALL-VEGETABLE-USA-IMPORT-16oz-453g-/160660195014?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item25681806c6

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I got the oven nice and hot, gave the virgin pan a good soaking with lard on some kitchen towel and then bunged it in for a couple of hours. Wiped off any excess then reapplied the lard, switched the oven off and then popped the pan back in and left it to cool.

I got told never to use washing up liquid after it's bedded in, I just use a scrubbing brush and hot water which seems to work okay

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
To a large degree I agree with Ogri. That is IF you are using it for frying mostly. What happens when you "season" cast iron is simple enough. The CI is porous and when it's heated the pores open up. That allows the seasoning oiul to soak into the pores and get hot enough to carmalize. The only thing you need to remember is to use an oil thar will take high temperatures (NO olive oil)

If you chose to do it by "using" the CI as Ogri suggested rather than deliberately seasoning it, you just need to remember HOW to use it. The first few times you should only use it to fry foods; preferably high fat foods such as bacon that will render out lots of pork fat as it cooks.

As for as caring for it afterwards, it has already been suggested that you never use soap when cleaning it. That's partially true. If it's properly seasoned you really will rarely need to do anything more that just wipe it out to clean it. After that I just give another wipe with an oily cloth. On the other hand, on the rare occassion that something does indeed stick to it (rice is an example) then scouring might be required (try with a soap free scouring pad or brush first) then dry it over heat and re-season.

It should last generations.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE