Carving with sycamore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ape_Ogre

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2010
Southport, UK
A guy at work was cutting back some sycamores, so I managed to scrounge some of the more interesting pieces, he told me it would be rubbish to carve with, tried a bit and it seemed ok to me (I am a complete carving virgin!).

Is sycamore any good for carving or am I wasting my time and does anyone have any hints for me ?

Ape_Ogre

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2010
Southport, UK
Thanks for the link calibanzwei, had no idea sycamore was used for love spoons (and I bought my wife one for valentine's day this year)...

Any idea how long it will stay 'green' or how I can stop it drying out ? Just leave it outside and pray for rain ?

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
......Any idea how long it will stay 'green' or how I can stop it drying out ? Just leave it outside and pray for rain ?

how long it stays green depends on the heat/humidity of where you're storing it.
to slow down the drying proccess you can try storing it in a paper bag along with all the shavings that you've carved off it, the moisture that's in the shavings should help to keep some moisture in it. keep it somewhere dark and cool too, that helps.

stuart

E

ex member coconino

Whether any material is "rubbish to carve" rather depends! Sycamore is a classic wood for carving spoons and such, so just give it a go and whatever happens you'll learn something. Wrapping your work in cling-film will help prevent it drying too fast and cracking.

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
Sycamore is a lovely wood to carve, and is used for all sorts of treen. Not only spoons but bowls, cups, shrink pots, rolling pins, almost anything. I have gone off it a bit for spoons because it has no character and can appear bland, and I now prefer beech. Sycamore is a readily available wood and perfect when green for spoons.
When dry or nearly dry it can be very hard, so best do all roughing out and rough carving when green. I tend to let my spoons dry before giving them there final knife finish. Always make sure you use a maximum of half the log/branch only. Preferably use a 1/4 or less, this way you are less likely to have splitting problems. Make sure you do not include the pith in any part of your carving.
Once a spoon is carved then just let it dry, there is really no need to wrap in anything, just do not dry rapidly or subject to heat. If you need to keep the spoon green either leave in a plastic bag or pop it into the freezer.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Echo Seans and others comments re the wood for carving and fire lighting, Sycamore is also a traditional wood for making cooking implements from.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE