Carving projects

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 14, 2008
uk
I'm looking to do some more carving with birch and was wondering what I could carve, I have done spoons and a kuska, but want to do something a little different, any ideas?

Also how do you finish your spoons/kuska's ready for eating/drinking with?

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Well it depends on what kind of carving you want to do. Do you want to carve useful things like bowls or utensils, or do you want to start carving figures and stuff like that?

If it's the first, maybe a fork or even a spork could be fun, people seem to forget about carving that kind of thing because spoons are more useful (what else are you gunna eat soup with?) and forks can be improvised so easily, but they can still be fun to carve. Same with bowls and stuff like that, all good projects.

If it's the second, maybe try a ball in cage, I don't know how easy they are because I've only just started on my first but it seems like a fun project with a cool result. Or maybe an animal, there are a lot of critters around that would make a nice carving, I just finished a beaver recently myself (I'm Canadian:D).

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
hiya agiles10, i like to make these little fella's in my dinner break, what else can i do after i've wolfed my grub down? :)

013.jpg

Last edited:

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well, lets see.

Wall hooks. Use a forked branching and make a wall hook. I have 6 of them in my entryway, four for hats and two for coats, etc. Another two hold SOs longbow over a doorway, one holds the kitchen towel, one (with several thinner branches) hold the knives that are "in use" (bushcrafter, sami, leuko) and a couple of kuksas. Etc. Leave plain or carve designs or faces (similar to woodspirits) or whatever.

Take two hooks, carve a scarf joint and make an S-shaped pot-hanger.

Make a butter spreader

Drill out the middle (if green) and make a shrink pot.

A smallish, wall mounted totem pole for your office?

One thing I intend to make is a small door, sized to fit over moulding where the wall joins the floor (can't recall the name atm). How else would the vätten (house-gnome , kinda) get into your kitchen?

A three legged stool. Split out a seat and three legs, carve with axe and knife, drill holes and assemble.

Rolling pin. Can you hand carve one that is smooth enought to be useable? Mine is so-so, but it was a quick job in camp that has lasted almost a decade.

A spoon hanger, either for your cooking implements or for the ones you est your breakfast with.

Bowls are fairly easy if you have a curved adze, doable with a crook knife and patience.

Toy horses, polar bears, swords and pigs (etc) for relations in the right age bracket.

I tend to finish with linseed oil (the grocery store version is by definition food safe).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE