carving a scandinavian woodspirit ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Well, I was getting hooked on taking up whittling and your scandinavian ain't helping me in overcoming my withdrawal symptoms at all!! I've been looking for a thread to see if theres any handy, versatile bush knives which are all round useful for carving & out in the bush... could you direct a noob or offer any recommendations please? (I'm thinking woodspirits rather than bigger jobbies :)

Last edited:

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
hiya turbogirl,
well i tell you, if you start it gets addictive! theres guys on here that do some fine work with their standard blade, ive tried it and its hard work to get the detail, hats off to them :eek:

but if you want to test the water without breaking the bank, theres various outlets or the bay that sell starter carving kits for about a fiver. i have some and theyre not bad at all, if the bug bites i can recommend progressing onto the flexcut range, damn sharp and hold a good edge for ages :D

steve

Last edited:

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
found a nice piece of forked lime at the august north wood meet, started off as one of my 'normal' woodspirits, but somehow this little fella wandered off into scandinavia! ;) hope you like him...

steve

011-2.jpg

016-3.jpg

010-3.jpg

I do indeed.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
starter carving kits for about a fiver. i have some and theyre not bad at all
I have indeed purchased said fleabay cheapies and hope they come before next weekends Rough Close meet :) I'm more thinking of a versatile bushknife which could be used for some rough carving but also double asa useful all round tool outdoors... without breaking the bank, so I'm guessing blade shape is tantamount and as for quality, I'll just have to take pot luck!

I figured that roughing it outdoors then finishing infront of a warm fire at home could be a really condusive way of getting into it... must check out I've got sufficient first aid in the box too... XD

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
I have indeed purchased said fleabay cheapies and hope they come before next weekends Rough Close meet :) I'm more thinking of a versatile bushknife which could be used for some rough carving but also double asa useful all round tool outdoors... without breaking the bank, so I'm guessing blade shape is tantamount and as for quality, I'll just have to take pot luck!

I figured that roughing it outdoors then finishing infront of a warm fire at home could be a really condusive way of getting into it... must check out I've got sufficient first aid in the box too... XD

ok well if you havnt already got one, try a mora clipper thin and very sharp blade for under a tenner! versatile and very good value :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE