carved duck bowl

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Several years ago I saw a duck bowl at Saterglantan, Swedend's national folk craft school. It was simply glorious and had been made with incredible skill and left with very coarse facets from axe and adze. I do not know who the maker was but it has stuck in my mind. After spending the day turning round bowls carving one like this in the evening felt very free and unconstrained.

IMG_6930.jpg

The original one was painted blue with a bright orange bill and I think I may give this one the same treatment just to make it feel really Swedish.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Awesome work :D

The other day I found your blog again and sat for ages going through it until I ran out of posts to read :eek: Really lovely work in there!

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Very nice Robin! A quacking job.......ok... I'll get my coat....:sulkoff:
Very good :lmao:
Awesome work :D

The other day I found your blog again and sat for ages going through it until I ran out of posts to read :eek: Really lovely work in there!

glad to hear you enjoyed it, I never really know if anyone reads it or not.

Great work!

Did the original look something like this one?

Jongoose.jpg

Nope, when I like something I try to copy it as closely as my bit of wood and skills allow. In this case my adze was too broad and so I had to refinish the interior with a hook knife and I clearly converted the log differently so I could not mimick the exterior toolmarks. Mine ended up far more tight and controlled but that is common when first copying something, only when you are really cracking on do you get glorious free toolmarks like this.

Saterglantan2-11.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I kinda like your version better than the original. I like the way the tail sweeps down and the neck sweeps up. I do love the colors of the original though. :)

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Given the skill, time and energy involved in carving such a beautiful fowl, er'... bowl, I'd imagine that if it were for sale, it would probably come with a large bill!

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Nice work Robin.

I've seen quite a few of these type of bowl in Norway as well as Sweden, it seems to be a popular form going back a while.

A lot have the head coming up more "sitting" duck like but I like this more flowing style better.

Thanks Wayland,

The lovely ones you describe are ale geese for communal beer drinking (just the thing for a bushcraft meet?) this one is for serving food at table.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
That is so happy looking Robin - I tried to make something similar a few months ago, only the bowl was about the size of a big soupspoon.

It was out of boxwood - managed to wreck three and then ran out of wood :rolleyes::D Got to have another go because I promised it to one of the kids - its to be the scoop for the tea tin:)

Hi Noddy,

Nice to see you over here. Shame about your boxwood one, it is a gorgeous wood to carve though pretty hard work the polished finish off a sharp knife is great. Nicola has been carving caddy spoons as Christmas pressies this year. They take a while but are very sweet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE