carrying meths

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steveo

Forager
May 10, 2005
Earth
what do you all use to carry your meths in , just curious because my trangia meths bottle has decided to leak!!! :confused:

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
do not use aluminium for meths, it corrodes it (specially disappointing if it is a flash sigg bottle or the like)

cheap and cheerful solution is to pry the lid off an empty zippo fuel tin

the nozzle on top of the tin can also be used to suck up any excess meths

they will rust so be prepared to replace every year or so but they are free :D

The lid snaps back on and is watertight, just stow upright in a side pocket and ya should be fine

Tant

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
For short walks, I use the trangia itself - just remember to not use the lid for extinguishing the flame because it damages the seal. I find a completely closed simmer ring does the job.

Since I got the swedish mess kit, I've been using the included bottle. It seems to be OK (so far)when kept more or less upright.

For longer trips, I use a trangia fuel bottle - pours easily, and the lock down valve gives me confidence it won't leak.

G.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I've heard of some Swedish messkit fuel bottles leaking. However, I have three of them and no problems whatsoever. They are extremely light (pity the rest of the messkit isn't!) and a good hipflask type shape for carrying close to the body to improve cold weather lighting.

One will last a weekend with judicious use.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Doc said:
I've heard of some Swedish messkit fuel bottles leaking. However, I have three of them and no problems whatsoever.

Ditto. Cheapy Panda Pops PET bottles are 25cl if I recall correctly, and are what I use for extra capacity. Fairly bombproof, rounded and small, so they can slide into overstuffed rucksack

Doc said:
One will last a weekend with judicious use.

I find I can just squeeze a weekend out of a full burner and the bottle that comes with the messkit, presuming I'm heating up and/or rehydrating food (and not having too many brews). If I'm cooking properly, I tend to use a fire...

Jim.

Meaghaidh

Aug 10, 2005
Peak District
Hi guys & gals,

Firstly I agree that certain Sigg bottles will corode with meths in them. But not all sigg bottles are the same. There are sigg fuel bottles and sigg drinks bottles. I believe I am correct that the drinks bottles are good for meths because it behaves in a similar way to acids/alkali's with the aluminium. The siggs are coated on the inside to prevent the corrosion. The fuel bottles are fine for parafin etc.
If you do not store meths in either then you will not have any problems. Empty them out after a trip. Do replace the cap on the bottles as the fumes willdisipate at ground level and cause a flash back if there is a spark or flame in the vicinity.

DoE groups and most Outdoor Centres only use fuel bottles with NRV's to prevent this happening.

Palu B

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Mines a plain aluminium Sigg fuel bottle, I've had it for 10 years at least, and it has always had some meths in it. I don't empty it for storage ever, I just top it up as and when it need's it. I've not had any corrosion in there at all.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Graham_S said:
i use a plastic trangia fuel bottle (the red one with the pouring valve on the lid) it's exellent.
I go with them too. They are as reliable as the Sigg bottles and even if they don't survive the "throw it off a cliff onto rocks" test, the clever top and locking pouring mechanism makes it more user friendly than a Sigg.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I use the placky bottle that I got full of meths from the chemists a few years ago, seems tougher than most meths bottles though.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I use either a coated sigg bottle they where what i started with 12 or more years ago and i've never had a problem with them and to be honest I don’t feel right carrying fule in anything else or I use the small bottle that comes with the Swedish arm trangia if I’m only out for a short while. I have also used one of the strong plastic bottles you get surgical spirit in all have served me well.

Just to put the question does it really matter what you carry your fuel in if it holds enough for you journey, doesn’t leak in your bag and you can pore it into your burner safely?

Leeroy

May 8, 2005
Macclesfield
well ive got 2 bottles..

i have a large metal sigg bottle which i have had for years...

its not corodding or anythine and ive also got one of the posh triangia bottles with the pouring lid which is a lot smaller for when im out on my own both do what they say on the tin and keep your meths stored! about the same price too pretty easy and safer than a pop bottle me thinks

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The old Sigg bottles may be okay for meths, but the new MSR fuel bottles certainly aren't. I have some meths in one for about a month and some corrosion is quite evident.

I like the idea of Coke bottles, don't know why I didn't think of it. I have used cola bottles of 0.5 and 1 litre for water for ages, the seals are good, sure they get battered and bent, but I have yet to have one leak and they are cheap to replace. The polyester certainly isn't bothered by meths.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE