Carrying fixed blades whilst wild camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zookeepa

Jan 12, 2015
Derbyshire
Pretty much. If it looked like that was gonna happen they would get resources from Scotland to assist but the offence would have been in this country so they still have a power to arrest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Thin end of the wedge. People cease to do something lawful because they are afraid it might not be. This is wrong.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I used to be a Bobby and English Police have no authority in Scotland as their legislation is different. Sorry.

You've nothing to apologise for. However, the police, despite the vernacular, are not the law.

[EDIT: Actually it doesn't, further information on this here: link]The Criminal Justice Act 1988 applies UK wide. As does the, correct advice, to ask the police to clarify their statement and to query them as to which law they would be enforcing should they arrest someone for carrying a knife.

Last edited:

Zookeepa

Jan 12, 2015
Derbyshire
You've nothing to apologise for. However, the police, despite the vernacular, are not the law. The Criminal Justice Act 1988 applies UK wide. As does the, correct advice, to ask the police to clarify their statement and to query them as to which law they would be enforcing should they arrest someone for carrying a knife.

Sorry but it only applies to England and Wales except certain sections and this isn't one of them. I was only trying to help clarify but I'll leave it with you. The act is available online if you want to check.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
You've nothing to apologise for. However, the police, despite the vernacular, are not the law. The Criminal Justice Act 1988 applies UK wide. As does the, correct advice, to ask the police to clarify their statement and to query them as to which law they would be enforcing should they arrest someone for carrying a knife.

It might well be my constitutional right to shoot a Welshman with a bow and arrow during the hours of darkness in Chester or wherever, but I would want to check it out with the local police first.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Could you take a machete with you? Or s billhook?
Gardening tools.
What about a chisel knife? Has no tip.

I ferl sorry for you UK guys.

Last edited:

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
Have tagged on a PDF from BASC on Scottish knife law. Couple of years old but doubt any of it has been watered down.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Get a live chicken to carry with you. If a police officer objects to you carrying a knife, just tell him you need it to sacrifice the chicken to the Devil ( religious practice).

dannyk64

Apr 1, 2015
Nottingham

Cheers for that mate, a good summary. it seems that the law is very open to interpretation. my gut feeling says that if you where to be stopped carrying a fix blade knife whilst camping/hiking by the police and charged that it wouldn't get to far in court.

Whilst I do disagree with this cops interpretation I don't really need my fixed blade on me and seeing as I now know the local police opinion on the matter I'm going to take the folder.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Get a live chicken to carry with you. If a police officer objects to you carrying a knife, just tell him you need it to sacrifice the chicken to the Devil ( religious practice).
😏Janne , have you forgotten to take the tablets again 😄😜

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Sorry but it only applies to England and Wales except certain sections and this isn't one of them. I was only trying to help clarify but I'll leave it with you. The act is available online if you want to check.

[EDIT: What follows is factually incorrect, apologies to Zookeepa if any offence caused] I think you need to have another read of this. What you've stated is pretty much the exact opposite of the facts. Some sections of the CJA 1988 only apply to Scotland, all of the rest of it apply to the UK.

Full act here:

www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/33/contents

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Let us get real. Has anybody dressed for outdoor activities and carrying outdoor equipment been sentenced or even arrested in UK??

The law is one thing, but implementing it to the dot is another.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
It might well be my constitutional right to shoot a Welshman with a bow and arrow during the hours of darkness in Chester or wherever, but I would want to check it out with the local police first.

a.) We don't have a constitution.

b.) The law on murder supersedes archaic law.

c.) Asking the police is exactly what I was talking about.

dannyk64

Apr 1, 2015
Nottingham
In Nottingham, UK my mate was pulled over as he left some woods (his tax had expired and he had forgot to renew it) and he had a puukko dangling round his neck still. he was taken to the station and had the knife taken.

They only reason he was actually arrested was due to the fact he had a fixed blade on him.

he wasn't formally charged for it though and I'm pretty sure he got the knife back a week or so later

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You poor people. Nobody here gives damn. Here, you put all your bushcraft and bull**** away when you come into town.
Tidy up, brush yourselves down and show up. If you roll into town, open the truck door and live 12ga shotgun shells roll out into the street, you won't live it down for weeks.
Boom, boom Adamovich got her name that way.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Is it just me or are decent people being forbidden enjoyment of a pastime/hobby because of a few morons. I find the whole situation bonkers.
(Head shakes sadly at loss of another piece of lifes freedoms).

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
NOOOOOOOOOO it is not just you.......if it was that would be discrimination, and the rest of us would be happy as we could do as we like as the police were busy chasing you.

Unfortunately we are an easy target, take the new bye-laws in Scotland to cut down litter and fly tipping, they are banning you from camping in large areas, unless you buy a permit, now we all know that people with permits don't leave litter!!!!!

Now when they brought in these new bye-laws, did you hear any protestations...NO, we are unfortunately without representation in these areas, even the Ramblers Association, were very quiet about this, so we haven't a leg to stand on, and don't forget these areas in Scotland were areas that you had a right to roam and wild camp without hindrance (except the Loch Lomond Area at certain times).
Now it would be unfair to assume that all campers/bush-crafters/wild campers do not leave litter, but most of these people do believe in the "leave no trace" policy, however there are always someone who leaves a mess, and unfortunately we get blamed, and have to pay the price. WHY.........because it is political, local authorities themselves are the cause of most litter problems, for instance, in my area if I go to my local refuse centre in my 4x4 Mitsubishi car derived Van, they wont let me in unless I have a licence which allows me to go 12 times a year ( vehicle specific) this isn't a problem for me, I just use my car, most lay-bys do not have litter bins, they have been taken away, and so consequently most lay-bys are full of litter, now the sensible thing to do is to remove the lay-bys, no lay-bys.....no litter, but you can imagine the screams from the motoring organisations if they did that, and that is the difference, nobody(except us of course) is worried if a few people cant go camping......we are without a voice, and this is why they can legislate, ban, restrict us in any way that suits them, and by doing this it looks to all and sundry that they are doing something about problems like litter, etc, and to other folk who watch the evening news, it looks to them that all this litter is caused by those pesky campers.

Now quite often I go for a walk in a small woodland near my home, it has a large duck pond and it is a busy place, with kids feeding the ducks etc, now in the woods, the only litter I ever see are lager and Beer cans, as well as a few hypodermic syringes, pieces of tin foil, and small patches of black ash (small fire areas) , now do I think my local Council is going to admit that there is a bad drug and drink problem here......no way...........so they restrict you, shorter free parking times, don't repair the access roads, etc etc in the hope that normal people will stop going into the area, and see what is going on ( I won't mention the lack of tree and forest management).

So all in all, everyone sees us as an easy target, and a way to shift the blame from problems onto us, we suffer for the morons in our society, and until we get a powerful voice who will defend us, we will continue to be hit by regulations and restrictions.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE