Carrying axe's on/in backpacks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Swampy Matt

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 19, 2004
Midlands
I'm a martial artist and regularly have to walk to a mates house where we train with both a Bokken (wooden sword) and an Iaito (blunt practice sword). I carry both of these the mile and a half between the houses - often coming back reasonably late in the evening.

When walking, these are both wrapped in several layers of thick cloth secured in place with 4-5 knotted peices of rope (as opposed to tied with bows which are easily undone). They are then carried in an army kit bag, which is again secured with several ties.

This serves to both disguise what they are, and make them completely unaccesable for immediate use. I can't see any reason that I could be 'done' for this - and these are both technically weapons.

If i had to take my axe, machete, FKS1 or tomahawk on public transport, I'd carry them in exactly the same way as this until I was 'In Country'.

A bit of extra weight (in terms of wrappings/bag/etc) is IMO, far better than a night in the cells or a spell at HM pleasure!

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
The bin liner is a good idea but if you want to be more discrete martial arts stores, both real world and online sell a variety of zippable cases for everything from nunchakas to polearms. I'm sure that someone will have a link. Fishing shops would probably have a suitable case or bag as well.

Do remember that the law does provide an excuse if you are stopped, and that is the simple 'good reason' one. If you are carrying the axe in conjunction with a blimmin' great pack full of other outdoor gear whilst wearing outdoor clothes and large boots most police officers will believe you are a genuine outdoors-type person.

If only because if it was all for show, and you actually did try to reach your intended victim by chopping through a door screaming 'Here's Johnny!' the pack would get you stuck fast in the doorframe........

:D

Danzo

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
ah swampy matt are u a fellow iaidoka?

i jus usually carry my iaito in my silk or leather sword bag.....people usually think its a fishing rod or the very drunk ones a snake....with/in rigor i supose????? :rolleyes:

i am often to be seen carrying a six foot bo staff a mile down the road to my uncle/ sensei's house and no one even bats n eye lid.....

......as for carrying my axe well if its in any kinda bag with the head covered i'm confident people wont even notice.

Swampy Matt

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 19, 2004
Midlands
scruff said:
ah swampy matt are u a fellow iaidoka?

Iaidoka - I wish!

I'm probably best described as someone who can comfortably wield a sword (western or japanese) - but as to drawing it swiftly, with precision and grace - maybe one day :D .

scruff said:
i am often to be seen carrying a six foot bo staff a mile down the road to my uncle/ sensei's house and no one even bats n eye lid.....

......as for carrying my axe well if its in any kinda bag with the head covered i'm confident people wont even notice.

I'm amazed at what people either don't notice, or choose not to notice. Today I was clearing some plants from my parents front garden on a very busy main road in a 'curtain twitching, keeping up with the Jones's' type area of Coventry.

I watched as people passed, very obviously trying to ignore a stripped to the waist, tattooed skinhead swinging 14" of razor sharp Machete. They must have thought I was one of 'the domestics' :rolleyes:

Stupid thing is - they are the same people who will call the police to report 'wild looking, heavily armed individuals' when encountering bushcrafters whilst they're out rambling. Madness!

Matt.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
surely the only way to wield a sword is with precision.....if not grace?!

i have a friend who would have scalped himself several times performing O-chiburi (big blood shake) had he not been using a bokuto (wooden sword).

ahh the sub-urban curtain twitcher u gotta love 'em.

try living next door to an ex-fire service station master whilst setting alight to things in your garden :cool:

ps. soz for digressing peeps

nevetsjc80

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
buckinghamshire
What about a rucksack cover? if it has nt already been suggested! I went to snowdon a little while back and people had ice picks on the outside of there rucksacks, so i ask is that any differnt, but not sure the police would be ok with this arugument :(

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I once met a guy who carried a machete in a sheath at his side!

He was a surveyor, and so needed it to get to his position.

Mind you, the yellow jacket, theolodie and poles explained everything.

browndrake

Feb 4, 2006
Arizona, USA
I just had to jump in here and comment:

All you bushcrafters, in the UK, seem to be a determined lot. I would never have imagined what you go through to go out and practice you bushcrafting skills.

Here, I would never of thought twice about tying an axe to my backpack nor a bowie knife to my side. I guess that we/I take too much for granted.

It was a big enough shock for me coming here to Texas for school. Back home, I could go camping, shooting, or whatever, wherever I wanted and whenever I wanted. Here, most land is private and inaccessible unless one procures hard to get permission.

It is admirable, the determination you all demonstrate to learn and practice your skills.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
I agree, you guys in the UK really do have to flip over backwards on some of your laws. You do deserve credit for your persistance.

Here in Arizona I go backpacking with an M1911 .45 automatic pistol in a military thigh holster and sometimes a rifle strapped to the pack and no one cares (unless they are a bunch of grass chewing hippies visiting from California).

The main comment I'll get on either an axe (or a bowie or a khukuri or a machete) or my firearms are comments on the weight and whether I feel the extra weight is justified.

For one of my larger chopping tools, I'll usualy carry either my Norlund Hudson Bay style hatchet (3" bit), my Himalayan Imports Ang Khola khukuri (15" over all length), or one of my bowies (9"blade, 15" overall). I have a larger Norlund Hudson Bay style medium forest axe with a 5" bit I'm refurbishing. My larger axes I've normally used when out in the bush with a vehicle or some other mode of transportation.

As for the pistol, well, there's some dangerous critters in the Arizona outback and some of them are technically human. But the thing I've used it defense against the most is feral dogs. There's also the emergency hunting options it represents (deer, elk, range cattle, etc). Unless it's a regular hunt for deer or elk, I'll sometimes bring a .22 rifle, and on some occasions, I'll pack my 5.56mm CAR-15 and it's extra drop in .22LR unit. On a seasonal hunt for deer or elk I'll pack a scoped .308 caliber bolt action sporterized M98 Mauser. However, usually I'll just bring the .45 pistol and some fishing gear.

In Arizona, unless you are carrying conceiled, there's no laws against public carry of any weapon or edged tool, including loaded firearms (except for government offices, banks, voting places, and establishments that serve open containers of alcohol).

You do need a permit to carry conceiled weapons, grenades are a no-no, and full auto machine guns, cannons that use fixed ammo greater than .50cal (not muzleloaders), and sawed off shotguns need to be registered with the Feds. Generally no other type of weapon or edged tool needs to be registered.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Topcat02 said:
Blimey,

I dont suppose you get many burglaries in your neck of the woods then!

Yeah, breaking into a house in Arizona is to literally take one's life and cast it upon the winds.

Legally, breaking into any occupied dwelling, assault, rape, car jackings, etc, is considered grounds for lethal force, irregardless of whether or not the perpetrator is armed, no retreat required, no limit on the number of rounds fired or the type of ammunition used (hollowpoints, flechettes, whatever suits your fancy). Coup de gras and stuff like that is generally a no-no after they are already down, and is frowned upon if it's obvious. If the cops show up and there's some perp - usually with a prior criminal history - laying dead with six .357magnum hollowpoints in him, they'll generally consider it saving the taxpayers a lot of money and themselves future trouble. Even if you are not the one being offended against, like say you see a woman in a parking lot being brutally raped, you can whip out your pistol and send the perp(s) to the hereafter.

Conceiled weapons permits in Arizona are reciprocal with 36 other states and they are easy to get provided that you have no currently active felonies on your record. It's a 'shall issue' state and not up to the personal whim of local cops to deny you the permit. It's a short class you have to take and about US$100 and it allows you to carry any weapon on your person in a conceiled manner that you can legally own (gun, knife, sword, taser, axe, switchblade, morning star, Fed registered machine gun, whatever makes you feel good - but no grenades, you can easily buy commercial explosives in Arizona but you cannot use them as a weapon). You can carry conceiled on private property with no permit. No permit is required to pack a loaded weapon in your automobile.

However, unless it's a pocket knife and you're trimming your nails, don't whip it out in public unless you need to as it's considered 'brandishing' and that's a no-no. Same goes for non-conceiled weapons. When in polite company in public, keep it holstered.

With freedom comes responsibility, maturity, and a good dash of common sense. People here know that guns are not a toy (or they learn real fast) and you simply own them responsibly. Anti-gun propaganda and Hollywood silliness aside (Hollywood has the entire world thinking that Americans are all irresponsible trigger happy nutcases with Uzis), America loses more kids to accidental drownings in buckets and wading pools than to kids being accidently shot with firearms. Much of the 'youth' killings with guns are not really 'kids' but teenage gang members who just happen to be under the age of 18. All in all, even if you include gang shootings (and they mainly shoot each other) statistically you are still 10 times more likely to die in the USA from a doctor's mistake than by someone's bullet, which isn't bad for a nation with more guns than people (over 300 million privately owned firearms).

Most of the population in Arizona is in the Phoenix metro area and the surrounding desert valley (a lot of Arizona is actually mountains and forests, not just desert), with the rest being in Tucson and a few other medium and small towns around the state, such as Flagstaff. This makes for a whole lot of open space in a state that is 400 miles wide and a great deal of it is public land.

Most of the crime is in Phoenix (much of it drug related) and a significant percentage of that is Mexican illegal immigrants. About 74% of the murders in Phoenix go unsloved and almost all of the unsolved murders (over 90%) are Mexican illegals. Much of this involves drug trafficing. I also avoid many of the poorer areas of Indian reservations as some of the crime they inflict upon each other can be surprising.

Most of the public lands (State and National forests) are free and open, but often there are some some fees and rules at established campgrounds, fishing and hunting licenses, and there are some extra rules and restrictions on Indian reservations (those are covered by State law, Federal law, and Reservation laws) and National Parks (like the Grand Canyon).

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive got my doormans/basic security license and we are not allowed to punch people.

I kid you not.

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
Hi Y'all,

My pack has a little lash point on one side.

I use some of the nice velcro strapping that campmoor sells

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=12110

Then I just use the velcro around the handle under the head. I can attach a khukuri the same way but just put the velcro thru the belt loop on it.
Here's a pic to illustrate:

nessie2.jpg

Here's a closeup of the head cover which I think is kind of unique. It is leather and rawhide

reeves4.jpg

Here's some stuff chopped up. Besides campfires the main thing I use my hatchet for is my wood burning cookstove.

gear3.jpg

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Having watched Dispatches the other night on TV. The last thing that I would want to see is anyone arrested by The Boys in Blue as fingerprinting etc seems to be the norm (I may be completely wrong). So please do not give them any excuse. Consequently keep all sharps in your pack would be my advice when passing through urban areas.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Hollowdweller....is that a Lee Reeves axe? Sure looks like one! I do like a nice Nessmuk!

red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE